Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help with recovery of image data

Unfortunatly, my Card was corrupted and unable to mount. Finally I deceded to do a quick format and afterwards used a Tool to find the pictures on the card and recover them. It seemed to work and i have retrieved the images (PEF) looking at them in the windows browser I can see the tumbnails, http://1drv.ms/1v8By1S

But opening them in the DXO, Pentax Ulitily, photo shop shows garbage. It seems the real image data is corrupt. After that I tried to recover the JPEG from the pef using the Pentax utility bu that did not work out.

Does anyone know how I can retrieve any image data from the pictures - It was a birthday And I would like to retrieve some image data
The Pef files can be found here http://1drv.ms/1sMbh1M

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated

11-14-2014, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo_Spohr Quote
Unfortunatly, my Card was corrupted and unable to mount. Finally I deceded to do a quick format and afterwards used a Tool to find the pictures on the card and recover them. It seemed to work and i have retrieved the images (PEF) looking at them in the windows browser I can see the tumbnails, http://1drv.ms/1v8By1S

But opening them in the DXO, Pentax Ulitily, photo shop shows garbage. It seems the real image data is corrupt. After that I tried to recover the JPEG from the pef using the Pentax utility bu that did not work out.

Does anyone know how I can retrieve any image data from the pictures - It was a birthday And I would like to retrieve some image data
The Pef files can be found here http://1drv.ms/1sMbh1M

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated
The thumbnails could be produced by the OS - depending on which codec you have installed - simply by showing the integrated jpeg preview... this is by no mean a guarantee that the content of the actual RAW file is intact (save for the embedded preview).
I'd use a tool to extract the previews from the RAW files as a first step, and then I'd try another recovery software to see if I can recover more.

For the first step you could just use ExifTool with this command:

Edit: apparently ExifTool only works with NEF files, use this free executable instead:
PEF2JPEG : Extract L* jpeg from *istD / K series raw data

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-14-2014 at 08:46 AM.
11-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Can you try to recover again using testdisk/photorec? If you haven't used it to do the recovery.
11-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

photorec and/or zar are good tool from recovering data.

11-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I've had great luck with recuva, but it names all raw files as tiff, so I had to change the extensions to .dng and go with it.
11-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

Photorec is the best recovery tool I've tested. It recognizes PEF files It recovers stuff from my card that were shot over a year ago and I've even filled the card several times since then. Save the recovered files to another storage device, not the card being recovered.
11-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The thumbnails could be produced by the OS - depending on which codec you have installed - simply by showing the integrated jpeg preview... this is by no mean a guarantee that the content of the actual RAW file is intact (save for the embedded preview).
I'd use a tool to extract the previews from the RAW files as a first step, and then I'd try another recovery software to see if I can recover more.

For the first step you could just use ExifTool with this command:
Code:
exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw IMG0001.PEF > recover0001.jpg
I'm not familiar with the exif tool, but downloaded the latest windows executable and tried the following:
>exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw IMGP1030.PEF > IMGP1030.jpg

Gave back:

Undefined subroutine &main::Cleanup called at script/exiftool line 73.
END failed--call queue aborted at -e line 874.

and a 0 bytes jpg file
What am I doing Wrong??

11-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with the exif tool, but downloaded the latest windows executable and tried the following:
>exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw IMGP1030.PEF > IMGP1030.jpg

Gave back:

Undefined subroutine &main::Cleanup called at script/exiftool line 73.
END failed--call queue aborted at -e line 874.

and a 0 bytes jpg file
What am I doing Wrong??
Sorry, my bad, just edited it:
ExifTool only works with Nikon NEF raw files.
Use this, tested a minute ago.
PEF2JPEG : Extract L* jpeg from *istD / K series raw data

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
*snip*
They won't be full-res, but they will be something.
Actually my K100D Super PEF extract to jpeg at full size.
Compression is not bad at all, comparable to shooting "jpeg only" in camera
11-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like the last update to that one was for K7. Might or might not work depending on the camera.
He actually has a K7, based on the "about me" page on his profile...
11-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Just did the first one in both pef2jpg and lightroom. Corrupt ijpeg n both. Hmm. I'll try another image. Not sure of the embedded preview structure, but there might be multiple sizes (thumbnail/camera preview/etc.) and it might be that only the thumbnail squeaked through.

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 09:15 AM ----------

OK, so I've had no success with pef2jpg, but I was able to extract a 640x425 from IMGP1047 using Ligtroom and the ExtractPreviews script. Looks like there are various levels of corruption, since I couldn't do the same with IMGP1031.
It figures... corruption is not always paying attention...
11-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, it seems I'm out of luck, I have no lightroom and Pef2Jpg produces files that do not show images @!@!
If you have no other suggestions, I want to thank you LensBeginner and DC shooter both for looking into my problem
11-14-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yep, I tried as well (IrfanView, ACDSee), and the thumbnail only appears very small and pixelated... every single one of them...
I've read elsewhere that - at least in Canon's raw files - there are like three different thumbnails of varied sizes, just like dcshooter said.
The embedded jpeg preview must be corrupt as well...
Have you already deleted/overwritten the contents on the SD? You could try with another software as other people have suggested.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-14-2014 at 11:17 AM.
11-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, If you want, I can recover what I can with LR when I get a chance and email them to you later. I so far haven't been able to get anything larger than 40x425. I don't have a K-7, so I don't know what the limits of its image preview size are, but if I find anything larger, I'll let you know.

Correction: 640x425 (typo above)
It Would be great if you would recover what is possible.

When I recovered the pictures to my hard drive I saw the small preview pictures and assumed the recovery had gone well. (I intended to process the pictures later on). Therefore The Card has been formatted and used. I am not able to retrieve anything any more...

Again, I really appreciate what you guys are doing for me.
Thanks
11-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #14

Therefore The Card has been formatted and used. I am not able to retrieve anything any more..
Have you tried? If you formatted the card in the camera all it does is a "quick format" which just resets the file tables. The actual files don't get overwritten. A program like Photorec examines the data on the memory device an will reconstrunct any files that can be recognized and recovered. Photorec recognized PEF files which many of the other programs do not.

As I stated before, I tested several recovery programs and Photorec does the best job. It is able to recover files from cards that have been quick formatted. It also recovers photos that I deleted over a year ago even though I've filled up the card several times since then.
11-16-2014, 04:25 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Have you tried? If you formatted the card in the camera all it does is a "quick format" which just resets the file tables. The actual files don't get overwritten. A program like Photorec examines the data on the memory device an will reconstrunct any files that can be recognized and recovered. Photorec recognized PEF files which many of the other programs do not.

As I stated before, I tested several recovery programs and Photorec does the best job. It is able to recover files from cards that have been quick formatted. It also recovers photos that I deleted over a year ago even though I've filled up the card several times since then.
No Luck, de card has been used and the data is overwritten ( I Thought I had recovered the files....)