Steve
12-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax 18-135 doesn't show in LR 5.7
12-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I've ever had any issues with Pentax brand lenses being detected, but I'll have to look to see whether my 18-135 has perhaps changed with 5.7.

If lenses are detected from some lens code that might overlap with others, perhaps LR plays it safe and doesn't assume anything. I've noticed that on my Tamron Lenses, they were never autodetected, but as soon as I chose Tamron as the brand, LR figured the rest out. Of course, once I learned to set that as the default, everything has been automatic since.

12-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
If lenses are detected from some lens code that might overlap with others, perhaps LR plays it safe and doesn't assume anything.
Adobe plays it safe by not having up-to-date tables for lens look-up. Most of the lens ids are non-ambiguous and for those that are, LR has no problem assigning the wrong name just as long as the lens was not newly released within the last two years.

Steve
12-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter

This has been a problem for me too. I went somewhere where I brought a Sigma 10-20 and a Sigma 17-70. There is overlap there. On some pics I had trouble remembering which one I used. If I see a focal length, say, 19mm @ f16, it is not clear which lens it was. I still haven't figured out from this thread how I determine which lens was used in Lightroom, and even better, how to get LR to choose the profile.
12-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
This has been a problem for me too. I went somewhere where I brought a Sigma 10-20 and a Sigma 17-70. There is overlap there. On some pics I had trouble remembering which one I used. If I see a focal length, say, 19mm @ f16, it is not clear which lens it was. I still haven't figured out from this thread how I determine which lens was used in Lightroom, and even better, how to get LR to choose the profile.
I think that in that case, initially LR won't help you much. There is a slim chance that when you select Sigma from the drop down, LR will figure out which lens based on the information in the file and automatically choose the specific lens. It did that for me with a similar situation with a Tamron 10-24 and 17-50.

But, your best bet is going to use something like ExifTool to determine which lens has been used. Then when you are in LR with that image, you would select the appropriate lens. Or you could deliberately shoot a couple of photos using each lens specifically. Once you know what lens you have, you can then go through the process earlier of setting that lens as the default. I'm fairly certain that LR never depends on the FL or aperture directly to id the lens. It's looking for other Exif data.
12-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I'm fairly certain that LR never depends on the FL or aperture directly to id the lens. It's looking for other Exif data.
My understanding is that it uses the same lens id from the makernotes section of the exif that ExifTool references and stores that id in the catalog xmp for the image. The difference is that LR lacks an up-to-date and complete look-up table. ExifTool's lens id lookup table for Pentax cameras is posted online here:

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/Pentax.html#LensType

The lens id is expressed as two numbers. The first is nominally the lens series and the second the model. The DA 18-135 for example is stored as "8 215". Lenses tagged with decimal values are those where ambiguity exists and are for internal use by ExifTool. The actual value stored by the camera is part to the left of the decimal point.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-19-2014 at 07:11 PM.
12-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding is that it uses the same lens id from the makernotes section of the exif that ExifTool references and stores that id in the catalog xmp for the image. The difference is that LR lacks an up-to-date and complete look-up table. ExifTool's lens id lookup table for Pentax cameras is posted online here:

Pentax Tags

The lens id is expressed as two numbers. The first is nominally the lens series and the second the model. The DA 18-135 for example is stored as "8 215". Lenses tagged with decimal values are those where ambiguity exists and are for internal use by ExifTool. The actual value stored by the camera is part to the left of the decimal point.

Steve
Except that in some cases, I have lenses that are many years old (Tamron 17-50 for instance) that LR doesn't automatically detect unless I help it along (e.g. select the brand name).

I know it is using the Makernotes section, but I believe that LR's method of looking up must be too simple, or they just don't ever bother updating things as completely as they should. ExifTool is more sophisticated as you indicate, but I'm guessing that it must use a bit more of the information to determine what those decimal numbers are. It seems that in many cases, the ambiguity can be worked out by just paying attention to things such as focal length, although nothing says that can't be ambiguous either. The reality of course is that there is no real standard out there and things like Makernotes are even worse. On the flipside, when you do help it along and set up defaults for the lenses you own, it general works ok. I've yet to have the ambiguities affect me directly.