Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 06:02 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Right click the file and chose Extract. This will extract the .bin file. I suggest you extract it to a folder you have made or simply and easier to the desktop.
Right-clicking gives me the first image options, only, none for extract.

If I select "open" all I get is the second image box.

Clicking 7-Zip gives me a couple of extract choices, but every one tells me it "can not open"

Rather frustrating.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-17-2014, 06:06 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yes, it's the second link (Windows/Macintosh) as explained earlier on that page.

Can you right click on the file you downloaded, and confirm that it's 10,134kb in size?
Properties confirm it:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #18
Banned

It's a self extracting file, just double click on it and it will ask for a destination, use the default of "desktop", the ".bin" file will be placed on your desktop. Open Window's Explorer, click on desktop in the left panel, drag the ".bin" file to your SD card. Follow directions from Ricoh for the rest of the update process.

It appears you don't have Explorer set to show file extensions so you won't see ".bin", Look for the file name "Fwdc218b", that's the ".bin" file.

It also looks like you have more than 1 copy of the k5_2s107 file as noted by the "(1)" at the end of the file name. Look in the "downloads" folder and delete any copies, there should be no parentheses after the file name.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 11-17-2014 at 07:24 AM.
11-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That third screenshot suggests the download got corrupted, Nakedgun.

For now, download the Windows/Macintosh zip file and use that instead.

11-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
It's a self extracting file, just double click on it and it will ask for a destination, use the default of "desktop", the ".bin" file will be placed on your desktop. Open Window's Explorer, click on desktop in the left panel, drag the ".bin" file to your SD card. Follow directions from Ricoh for the rest of the update process.

It appears you don't have Explorer set to show file extensions so you won't see ".bin", Look for the file name "Fwdc218b", that's the ".bin" file.

It also looks like you have more than 1 copy of the k5_2s107 file as noted by the "(1)" at the end of the file name. Look in the "downloads" folder and delete any copies, there should be no parentheses after the file name.
Moving it to desktop gave the same results as working on it from the downloads listing, unfortunately.

Nothing I've tried reveals the .bin file, thus far.

You're correct, of course, I downloaded it a couple of times.

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 06:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
That third screenshot suggests the download got corrupted, Nakedgun.

For now, download the Windows/Macintosh zip file and use that instead.
Hallelujah! The Win/Mac version works, right off the bat!

I'm grateful to all who made an attempt to solve this puzzle, with my computer illiteracy on full display, here.

clackers, your persistency finally broke through my muddle, many thanks.
11-18-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote

Hallelujah! The Win/Mac version works, right off the bat!

I'm grateful to all who made an attempt to solve this puzzle, with my computer illiteracy on full display, here.

clackers, your persistency finally broke through my muddle, many thanks.

No worries, Nakedgun. You actually did nothing wrong.

I work in IT, and wish all my clients could provide forensic evidence like your screenshots.

You can delete that original .exe file - you could never extract anything from it. It got corrupted during download (could even have been another Pentax user from your ISP if they use proxy servers).