Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Firmware update help

So, I download the proper update to my Windows 8.1 machine, and there it is in the downloads folder. I can't seem to open it to show the two folders. Any ideas?

11-15-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Two folders"?
11-15-2014, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you download the .exe or the .zip file? The .zip file also unpacks only one file - .bin - that is the file you need to put on the SD card root directory. So I am not following what "two folders" are you referring to.

The Ricoh homepage has pretty good step-by-step instructions, follow them carefully:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
11-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
"Two folders"?
According to the install video, the download has two parts, one folder is the text file, one the bin file.

I can see it as an application in my downloads list but can't figure out how to open it.

11-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
According to the install video, the download has two parts, one folder is the text file, one the bin file.

I can see it as an application in my downloads list but can't figure out how to open it.
The .bin file is to be placed in the root of your memory card that you will insert in your camera. The root means, "not in a folder on the memory card". The .txt file is simply an information file for reading, if you wish. The .txt file is not requred for the install.

Important: Make sure you read the firmware installation instructions carefully. Make sure you have a fully charged, healthy battery in the camera when doing the firmware update. Lastly, do not, under any circumstances, turn off your camera or fiddle with it in any way while the firmware update is in progress.
11-16-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The .bin file is to be placed in the root of your memory card that you will insert in your camera. The root means, "not in a folder on the memory card". The .txt file is simply an information file for reading, if you wish. The .txt file is not requred for the install.

Important: Make sure you read the firmware installation instructions carefully. Make sure you have a fully charged, healthy battery in the camera when doing the firmware update. Lastly, do not, under any circumstances, turn off your camera or fiddle with it in any way while the firmware update is in progress.
Mark has explained it very well. Firmware updating is very easy and safe if you read, understand and follow the instructions carefully. People only get into trouble when they do not do it as instructed. It sounds more complicated than it is. Just do as Mark says and all will be well. Some people even freshly format the card to be sure the camera only has the bin file to look at.
11-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The exe is a self-extracting archive that will expand into the .bin and readme files.

You talked about a video - where is it?
11-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The exe is a self-extracting archive that will expand into the .bin and readme files.

Here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250893-pentax-ds...ate-guide.html

About one minute in, it says to open the file revealing two items. I'm not understanding how to open the download to reveal these two folders, one being the .bin.

11-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250893-pentax-ds...ate-guide.html

About one minute in, it says to open the file revealing two items. I'm not understanding how to open the download to reveal these two folders, one being the .bin.
That's a Mac in the video, NakedGun, and they are two files, not folders.

Best follow the instructions on the Ricoh website. Note the cautions, too ... like upgrading your phobe's firmware, it needs to be uninterrupted. :-)

Last edited by clackers; 11-16-2014 at 08:37 PM.
11-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Perhaps I've not been clear.

I've downloaded the update, but, where is the "self-extracting" file with the .bin?
How do I get at it to transfer to an SD card?
11-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

The update is the file.

Tell us what its name is.
11-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
k5_2s107
11-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rRnt Quote
Did you download the .exe or the .zip file? The .zip file also unpacks only one file - .bin - that is the file you need to put on the SD card root directory. So I am not following what "two folders" are you referring to.

The Ricoh homepage has pretty good step-by-step instructions, follow them carefully:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Ni option given to download the .zip file.
What seems to be missing from the instructions is a very important part of the process, namely, how to get at the .bin file and then transfer it to an SD card. The instructions assume one should already know HOW to do this.

---------- Post added 11-16-14 at 09:42 PM ----------

I'm not seeing it expand into the two files as you suggest, it simply shows up in the download listing with all other downloads.

Last edited by Nakedgun; 11-16-2014 at 10:45 PM.
11-16-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Right click the file and chose Extract. This will extract the .bin file. I suggest you extract it to a folder you have made or simply and easier to the desktop.
11-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Ni option given to download the .zip file
Yes, it's the second link (Windows/Macintosh) as explained earlier on that page.

Can you right click on the file you downloaded, and confirm that it's 10,134kb in size?