Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 02:49 AM   #1

Monochrome with a Kx

Hi, this subject has probably been covered before but a search doesn't bring up an answer , well, not one that I can apply to my issue.

I have recently moved to DSLR after years with Pentax film SLRs, being my first camera I thought cheap and cheerful just to compare image results etc.

I love monochrome.

The reviews state that it can shoot in Monochrome so I read the manual and did as it said, "Hold the info button , when screen appears, select Digital filters, select B&W" (paraphrased ) but guess what? in the Digital Filters there are OFF,Toy camera, Retro, High contrast, extract colour, soft, starburst, fish eye , custom filter, and cycles back to OFF. The manual mentions nothing about , maybe going into extract colour, so, do I need a firmware update or is it in there already in a subfolder? I hate the idea of going into something and "having a play to see what happens" knowing my luck I'd ruin it !

As per the film cameras I am very impressed with the Pentax DSLR, even if it is a bit of "old technology " Kx, love it. It is secondhand but with the box manuals discs etc and less than 3.5K shutter releases so plenty of time to figure out if I make the full jump to DSLR or just use it alongside the film cameras?

I look forward to any answers. TIA.

11-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could shoot in RAW and convert it to monochrome in your editing software.
I
11-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Press INFO / top left case / go to B&W / select eventualy a color filter by default (red / orange work well for outdoor if you want dark sky.)

Take a bit of time to customize well this thing. Because when you can adjust it properly, the Jpeg engine ain't that bad for well exposed shots.

I'd suggest you to select RAW+ in the format.

To be honest, this camera is very good when it comes to output : files are rich, you can do some post-processing easily, and so on. But this won't replace your film camera if you like film as much as i do.
11-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I generally think you will get far better results converting from raw (I use Lightroom and there are a huge number of free presets out there and some of them are top notch as good as any paid setting - and you can of course tweak from there)
also NIK Silver Efex Pro is pretty amazing for conversion

DXO software also has some great Film packs available that emulate old films (like Pan F Tri x etx)

this was done in DXO a few years back using the Pan F , Gold Toned Orange Filter

11-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, choose the jpeg mode to black and white. Its in the Info menus, and you can probably customize it a little, by pressing the info button again. I think you can even add sepia or blue shades (at least my K-r can, and it is a very similar camera). Either way you can shoot raw and convert to black and white in post processing software (Lightroom, Silky Pix, FastStone, Aperture, Raw Therapee,.. many options available to you). I think this would be the best way to go, as it retains the full colour information and converts to black and white according to your wishes - high contrast, low contrast, sharp, soft, etc.
11-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Regardless of whether you shoot JPEG or raw I woould shoot color and change to B&W in the photo editor, you can then control the level of color filtering you wish to apply to control your contrast etc. you have a. Lot more freedom working with 3 colours than you do with a B@W image
11-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Brian -
I think there might be a problem with the manual on this issue. My manual refers to monochrome as a "digital filter" that would be accessed along with the other digital filters that you mentioned. But I have found that to access Monochrome processing in my camera, I need to access it through the Custom Image settings that are either accessed by clicking on the Info button until you reach a screen with 3 rows of 5 boxes each (Custom Image is the box at the upper left corner) OR you can access it by pressing the Menu button and the first item at the top of the first "page" of the Camera settings tab (represented by an icon of a camera) is Custom Image. As Aurele points out, essentially Monochrome processes your original color image into a B&W image, but there is also a menu that allows you to apply various filters in the processing of the B&W image and to tweak other parameters as well.

That being said, I would agree with the advice to shoot in RAW and do the conversion to monotone outside of the camera so that you will not loose the original information and also so you can have better control over the conversion to B&W/Monochrome than if you did the conversion in camera.

Best wishes,
11-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Press INFO / top left case / go to B&W / select eventualy a color filter by default (red / orange work well for outdoor if you want dark sky.)

Take a bit of time to customize well this thing. Because when you can adjust it properly, the Jpeg engine ain't that bad for well exposed shots.

I'd suggest you to select RAW+ in the format.

To be honest, this camera is very good when it comes to output : files are rich, you can do some post-processing easily, and so on. But this won't replace your film camera if you like film as much as i do.

Hi thanks for your reply, and the others who have kindly replied. Re the above, when I press INFO and I get in to the Digital Filters there are OFF,Toy camera, Retro, High contrast, extract colour, soft, starburst, fish eye , custom filter, and cycles back to OFF. There is no B&W option? The digital filters are totally unavailable if you are shooting in RAW, only useable in JPEG mode except for post editing.

That is the thing that makes me think I need a firmware update? The manual states that Monochrome is an option within the digital filters but it simply isn't there.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/279369-m...#ixzz3JQ8DUS8t

11-18-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Brian-

I shoot with a K-x also.
I do not think this is a firmware issue. Rather I think that it is an error in the manual.
My manual says what your manual says. On this issue, however, my manual appears to be wrong.

If you want to process your images as Monochrome in-camera:
Press INFO, select Custom Image (NOT Digital Filters) and scroll through the options (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Monochrome).
From there you can access a variety of settings (Filter Effect, Toning, High/Low Key Adj, Contrast, and Sharpness) to fine tune your image processing in-camera.
11-18-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
Brian-

I shoot with a K-x also.
I do not think this is a firmware issue. Rather I think that it is an error in the manual.
My manual says what your manual says. On this issue, however, my manual appears to be wrong.

If you want to process your images as Monochrome in-camera:
Press INFO, select Custom Image (NOT Digital Filters) and scroll through the options (Bright, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, Muted, Monochrome).
From there you can access a variety of settings (Filter Effect, Toning, High/Low Key Adj, Contrast, and Sharpness) to fine tune your image processing in-camera.
Bill !!! Houston we have lift off !

That is the way to get into Monochrome. Thank you very much. I even gave my 13 year old the manual and the camera as I thought she'd work it out in seconds, but, you are spot on the Manual must contain an error (or 2, any more and you'll find me here again ;-( )