Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Debug mode

Since installing the updated firmware, v1.13.23.30, for my K7 i have been having trouble with the shutter sticking open.
Also the message DEBUG MODE and when connected to my pc the message is then PC DEBUG, is showing in the top left-hand corner of the camera screen.
I want to return to the previous firmware version, how do i do this?
Brian 101

11-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Brian,
Did you, perchance, buy your camera used? Debug mode is something that requires several special procedures to activate and is a dangerous thing to have available if you don't know what it does and how to use it. The previous owner may have done you a disservice.

It may be possible to trick the camera into allowing an earlier version firmware, but generally that is not possible to do.

BTW...I think I would do some additional troubleshooting before I attempted to muss with the firmware version. The shutter issue may or may not be related to the current firmware state.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-17-14 at 10:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Did you, perchance, buy your camera used? Debug mode is something that requires several special procedures to activate and is a dangerous thing to have available if you don't know what it does and how to use it. The previous owner may have done you a disservice.
I just reviewed your post history and noticed that you did your firmware update some six months ago and had issues at that time (camera would not work with any of your lenses) that may or may not have been related to your use of debug mode and tethered operation using PK Tether and not having your lenses on the "A" position on the aperture ring.

I would suggest:
  • Disable debug mode
  • Skip tethered operation until you are sure your camera is working properly
I suspect that your sticky shutter is not related to the firmware update and is probably evidence of component failure as a result of poor electrical connection, age, wearing out, or misuse at some point.

Steve
11-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve, thanks for replying so quickly.
Question, how do i disable debug mode?
Brian
11-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brian101 Quote
Hi Steve, thanks for replying so quickly.
Question, how do i disable debug mode?
Brian
I am not sure the method you used to enable debug menu in the first place, but the general instructions for debug on the K-7 are found here:

Debug mode

Note that the method was only tested on an earlier version of the firmware. To remove:
  • Create a new text file called MODSET.474
  • Type this line of text into that file (use Notepad or similar plain text editor): [DEBUG_MODE DIS]
  • Save the file to the top-level directory of a SD card
  • Insert the card into your camera and turn on while pressing the menu button. If that does not work, try again, leaving the card door open when turning the camera on.
  • Reformat the card to erase the MODSET file.
Good luck.

Steve

11-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve. This may be relevent (?).
After i upgraded the new firmware the first time, months ago, a new folder appeared on the camera under Menu called TEST MODE.
As i'm a bit slow on the uptake i have only now thought through what changed on the camera and it was this TEST MODE mode.

The MODSET.474 didn't change anything just now though.

Brian
11-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brian101 Quote
a new folder appeared on the camera under Menu called TEST MODE.
Go to the TEST MODE menu tab and scroll down to DISABLE DEBUG MODE. Click and confirm.

Steve
11-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
DISABLE TEST MODE not listed anywhere.
I did however run the tests listed, nothing to lose, 1; CAPTURE/SYSTEM TEST, 2; AF TEST 3; STRINGS DISP TEST. Nothing looked to be obviously wrong.
Then I reset all the camera settings to default and tested the capture modes, all seemed to work correctly but then the DEBUG MODE error(?) returned to the back screen.
So, the camera seems to be working but still in DEBUG MODE thing, which i presume is still means it's not right yet.

Brian
11-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I am out of advice. I don't know why debug mode was enabled in the first place, but something went wrong at some juncture. Running the various tests and adjustment features bear some degree of risk. It is possible to "brick" your camera. You may want to contact the good folk at PentaxHack.info. There is also a running thread on here at PF frequented by people who know the firmware. Drop a comment there requesting a PM with advice.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/250555-resurrect...e-hacking.html

Steve