Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #1

K3 command dial erratic

I note that others have had issues with the command dail on different models. I have only relatively recently started using a K3 and having graduated from "Auto pict" to aperture priority etc I find that I cannot get to the values I want using the command dial; it skips around between values. Is there an easy fix or is it a job for the technicians? There's no warranty incidentally.

11-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The camera can be set to 1/2 or 1/3 increments. Could that be the problem?

Can you better describe the issue?
11-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

What JohnX said...It would be helpful if you could describe what you were trying to do and what the camera did that was different than what you wanted.

I can offer one piece of advice, that being to turn off auto-ISO. That feature is nice if you are shooting in "green" or P mode, but may result in unexpected settings when using other modes.

Steve
11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If it is the command dial then the standard 'fix' for this issue going back to the k-x model was to 'exercise' the wheel.

Turn the camera off and then spin the command wheel 20-30 times. Then turn the camera back on and see if that improved things. Success rate was not 100% but it was very high. Sometimes grit/gunk/stuff got into the contacts and caused erratic behavior. I had the problem on the k-x and this fixed it. I had a similar but less severe issue with the k-5 and again this procedure fixed it.

Some users also reported using a spray electronic cleaner was successful in fixing the issue. However, I am not familiar with brands or procedures for that so please search for other threads for advice on using any sprays.

11-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by teeyell Quote
I note that others have had issues with the command dail on different models. I have only relatively recently started using a K3 and having graduated from "Auto pict" to aperture priority etc I find that I cannot get to the values I want using the command dial; it skips around between values. Is there an easy fix or is it a job for the technicians? There's no warranty incidentally.
It's possible you just need to reread the Manual and understand what each mode does and how the camera reacts. For example, in Av mode you set the aperture, the camera decides the shutter speed and iso based on algorithms that you can specify (either higher shutter speed or lower iso)
The value is going to bounce around as you pan through a scene and the meter makes its calculations. (see threads for how k3 meters and various metering modes)

If you have specific values you want, the only way to get those are in M mode. A close second would be TAv which will allow you to control shutter and aperture, but camera will decide iso.

I may be misreading your post, but I think a stronger understanding of how shutter/aperture/iso work to create an exposure and a better grasp of what each camera mode does would answer your question.
11-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it is the command dial then the standard 'fix' for this issue going back to the k-x model was to 'exercise' the wheel.

Turn the camera off and then spin the command wheel 20-30 times. Then turn the camera back on and see if that improved things. Success rate was not 100% but it was very high. Sometimes grit/gunk/stuff got into the contacts and caused erratic behavior. I had the problem on the k-x and this fixed it. I had a similar but less severe issue with the k-5 and again this procedure fixed it.

Some users also reported using a spray electronic cleaner was successful in fixing the issue. However, I am not familiar with brands or procedures for that so please search for other threads for advice on using any sprays.
jatrax...This is a K-3 and likely still on warranty. The user is also not up on how to use all the camera's features. If it is gunked up, a warranty service call might be better than voiding the warranty with a can of contact cleaner. Even better would be to determine what is meant by "cannot get to the values I want using the command dial". It may be as simple as not knowing what each mode does.

Steve
11-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter

If on warranty, I would agree but the OP said no warranty.....

Spinning the dials does no harm, and I said IF it is the dial. I meant "if it is the dial and not what others said", but I rushed and did not fill in all my thoughts.

And if I was not clear in my post, I do not recommend using electronic cleaners as I have no experience with them, only that some other people have done so with success. My apologizes if I led anyone to think otherwise. If the OP should attempt to clean on their own, assuming no warranty, they should use all possible caution and read the labels first. But if under warranty, I agree, best to send it in before spraying anything.
11-17-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If on warranty, I would agree but the OP said no warranty.....
Ooops! Missed that part.

Sorry to have sounded heavy-handed in regard to the cleaner. I am looking forward to a more ordered description from the OP and am hoping that it is something as simple as auto-ISO skewing things unexpectedly.

Steve

11-17-2014, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

No worries I should have been more precise. Hope it is indeed just a setting.
11-18-2014, 03:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
Kr erratic command dial

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry my post was not as clear as it could have been.

First off, a typo meant I said K3 when the camera is in fact a Kr. Sorry.

What I should have said is that when I set the top dial to Av, for example, when I turn the command dial (always in the same direction) the values shown are typically something like f5.6 - f6.3 - f6.3 - f13 - f14 - f13 - f14 - f10 - f18 - f22 - f10. In other words the sequence of values is not correct.

I have tried spinning the dial while the camera is switched off and it has improved things a little, so maybe some further spinning will improve them further. I'll give it a try later today when I have some free time scheduled and let you know.

Thanks again to everyone.
11-18-2014, 11:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by teeyell Quote
I turn the command dial
Oh! That command dial! You mean the e-dial used for changing exposure! Here are a few things to consider:
  • The e-dial just sends a blip to the camera for each click step...same blip every time
  • Click too fast and it will be ignored
  • The increments for each click depends on camera setting. If set for half-stops in Av mode the sequence will be:
    1.2, 1.4, 1.7, 2, 2.4, 2.8, 3.3, 4, 4.8, 5.6, 6.7, 8, 9.5, 11, 13, 16, 19, 22
    If set for 1/3 stops:
    1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2, 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.6, 6.3, 7.1, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22

Steve
11-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #12

Original Poster
More "spinning" seems to have done the trick. Thanks again.