Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Neoprene for my custom pouches

Howdy,

I have this small and light Camelback backpack that I carry with me everywhere and would like to make it more camera-gear friendly. Am considering a plastic peg-board, cut to shape/size, and a sheet of Neoprene to fashion a full-height insert with pockets of various sizes, that would go inside one of the backpack's middle compartment. I intent to use it for light gear and accessories, such as Ricoh GR, small flash, some cables, batteries, etc. It would somewhat similar to the ThinkTank ShapeShifter "wall of pouches" like in the picture below, but not as well made of course:

(source: Camera Bags, Camera Cases, Digital Camera Bags - Think Tank Photo)

None of the local stores seem to carry Neoprene sheets so I am looking online. And there the choices are too many! What I am hoping to find is the same material that is used in Neoprene lens pouches. Does it have a special industry name?

I would greatly appreciate some advice on this.

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited by akptc; 11-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.
11-17-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Something like this:

Black Neoprene Rolls and Sheet for Gaskets
11-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

This might come in handy if you do this. Neoprene isn't as easy as most cloth to work with.
http://www.surfing-waves.com/equipment/wetsuit-stitching.htm
11-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you tvdtvdtvd and narual for the links, this exactly what I was hoping to find! I am not sure yet if I will stitch or make reinforced holes in the sheet and use small diameter cord to lace the Neoprene to the peg-board. I will post pics of the finished product of course.
Thanks again!

11-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neoprene is an easy material to work with, because you can just apply rubber glue to its cut edges and stick it piece to piece very quickly. But I have never seen a camera bag that uses it for padding...

I remember when I hand made my very thick surfing wetsuit, back in the early 70s. Neoprene can ''shed'' tiny bits of rubber dust, and cloth fibre from the lining material, especially if a raw edge got sorta crusty from age, or salty water, In my case. I think it might be advisable to put the neoprene within very fine-weave cloth and then SEW the pieces together.
11-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have a good idea here, however wouldn't you be better served by simply purchasing an insert of the right size for your bag? I've used many inserts, and love the Cubeze from Ape Case (really cheap on Amazon). they have many formats, and one is likely to fit inside your bag compartment.
11-18-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The padding in most camera bags is a closed-cell foam called L200. A solvent-based (not water-based) contact cement works well for sticking it together.
The neoprene used in lens-covers has a layer of spandex covering it. This makes it stable when sewn together with a zig-zag stitch on a serger.
11-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
purchasing an insert of the right size for your bag
Unfortunately I've been unable to find an insert that would do the job; what I need is a "vertically loading wall of pockets or soft holsters", such that I can reach each item independently w/out having to remove things sitting on top of it. The Cubeze inserts look like they would work great in my shoulder bags, I was not aware of those.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 09:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
neoprene used in lens-covers has a layer of spandex covering it.
Thanks for the tip. I emailed a manuf. asking for that, will post back.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 09:19 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
I think it might be advisable to put the neoprene within very fine-weave cloth and then SEW the pieces together.
I've modified my search to include such covered Neoprene, I would really like to avoid particles getting into my gear.