Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #1

Cannot access full menu with Kx

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and cannot find an answer to my problem. My Kx will not let me access my menu, review pics, adjust aperture in AV mode, etc. If I take a pic, it will show the review of the pic and if I hit menu when the pic is displayed, the menu will come up, but I can only access the first page of each tab. This happened one other time and I took the batteries out overnight, and it worked after putting them back in. Has anyone else had this issue?

11-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome jvk380-

I am not sure I understand the specifics of your problem. I, too, use a K-x and have had mine for 3-4 years now.
I can't say I have ever had the problem you describe, although I have had the experience of the camera behaving oddly at times when battery power is very low.

Your comment about the batteries does make me wonder about whether this could be a battery problem. To help rule this out, it would be good to know what the battery power indicator says when the camera is behaving this way and what type of batteries you are using. You want to check the battery power status after this problem occurs as used batteries may show as fully charged when you first turn on the camera but fairly quickly show depletion after a few shots (especially if you are shooting in cold weather, or using the built-in flash, or if the camera and batteries have been stored in a cold location).

A different test to see whether the batteries might be an issue is to take a set of fresh batteries (recently fully charged if they are rechargeable) with you and then seeing if replacing the batteries when this problem occurs will fix the problem.

If this does not help, you might try reinstalling your firmware (the software for the camera) and making sure you have the most recent update.

It might be helpful to know in what circumstances this problem occurs. Some questions would be, Does this occur after you first turn the camera on (as opposed to only after you have been using it for a while - in which case the question might be how long can you shoot before the problem occurs)? Does this problem occur every time you use the camera or only sometimes? If it only occurs sometimes, can you find a pattern to when this occurs? How long ago was the issue you mentioned that was solved by removing the batteries overnight and was there anything similar in terms of what may have happened with the camera before that episode and also before this current episode?

But first start with looking at the batteries.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
11-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try jiggling the buttons a little - maybe one is slightly stuck and that makes them unresponsive?
11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jvk830 Quote
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and cannot find an answer to my problem. My Kx will not let me access my menu, review pics, adjust aperture in AV mode, etc. If I take a pic, it will show the review of the pic and if I hit menu when the pic is displayed, the menu will come up, but I can only access the first page of each tab. This happened one other time and I took the batteries out overnight, and it worked after putting them back in. Has anyone else had this issue?
Take the camera out of green/auto pict mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
Welcome jvk380-

I am not sure I understand the specifics of your problem. I, too, use a K-x and have had mine for 3-4 years now.
I can't say I have ever had the problem you describe, although I have had the experience of the camera behaving oddly at times when battery power is very low.

Your comment about the batteries does make me wonder about whether this could be a battery problem. To help rule this out, it would be good to know what the battery power indicator says when the camera is behaving this way and what type of batteries you are using. You want to check the battery power status after this problem occurs as used batteries may show as fully charged when you first turn on the camera but fairly quickly show depletion after a few shots (especially if you are shooting in cold weather, or using the built-in flash, or if the camera and batteries have been stored in a cold location).

A different test to see whether the batteries might be an issue is to take a set of fresh batteries (recently fully charged if they are rechargeable) with you and then seeing if replacing the batteries when this problem occurs will fix the problem.

If this does not help, you might try reinstalling your firmware (the software for the camera) and making sure you have the most recent update.

It might be helpful to know in what circumstances this problem occurs. Some questions would be, Does this occur after you first turn the camera on (as opposed to only after you have been using it for a while - in which case the question might be how long can you shoot before the problem occurs)? Does this problem occur every time you use the camera or only sometimes? If it only occurs sometimes, can you find a pattern to when this occurs? How long ago was the issue you mentioned that was solved by removing the batteries overnight and was there anything similar in terms of what may have happened with the camera before that episode and also before this current episode?

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
The batteries were low when this happened, I don't remember the last time it happened if they were low or not. It was back in the summer, July. I had Ni-Mh 2100 mAh batteries. I left them out for the day today and charged the batteries. Still doing the same thing once I put freshly charged batteries in, can't adjust aperture or anything. I've switched the dial to every mode hoping it might kick in. None of the buttons do anything except for the shutter release. When I take a pic, not a good one obviously as I can't adjust settings properly, I can then press menu and the menu will come up, but then I can only scroll through the first page of each tab even though there's 4 pages on some tabs.
This is only the second time it has happened, so I haven't noticed a pattern. I just took a pic the day before without issue, turned it on today and this happened. My camera is always kept in my camera bag when not in use and didn't suffer any bumps or knocks. I'm puzzled.
11-18-2014, 03:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Try jiggling the buttons a little - maybe one is slightly stuck and that makes them unresponsive?
I gave it a try, but no go. Thanks though.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Take the camera out of green/auto pict mode.
It was in AV mode, but I've tried every mode and still won't work unfortunately.
11-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Welcome jvk380-

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
I tried reinstalling/updating the firmware, my camera will not recognize the file or something from the sd card. I'm following instructions to the letter, when holding the menu button, turning camera on, just the version that is on the camera displays, will not prompt for an update.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 04:50 PM ----------

I tried to reinstall/update the firmware, but my camera would not recognize the file on the sd card. I followed directions to the letter and when I hold the menu button down, turn on the camera, only the version that is on my camera currently displays. It does not prompt for an update. This is frustrating.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 04:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jvk830 Quote
I tried reinstalling/updating the firmware, my camera will not recognize the file or something from the sd card. I'm following instructions to the letter, when holding the menu button, turning camera on, just the version that is on the camera displays, will not prompt for an update.

---------- Post added 11-18-14 at 04:50 PM ----------

I tried to reinstall/update the firmware, but my camera would not recognize the file on the sd card. I followed directions to the letter and when I hold the menu button down, turn on the camera, only the version that is on my camera currently displays. It does not prompt for an update. This is frustrating.
Sorry about the double reply, I haven't been a member long enough to edit a message.
11-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Still no luck

After leaving the batteries out over night, it still didn't work. I tried the firmware update as mine isn't the latest version. I copied the bin file to the root directory of the sd card, held the menu button down until the regular screen appears, over and over again. I'm guessing it has to do with whatever else is going on with it. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to give them a try.

11-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #9

Did you change SD cards recently? The firmware update from 1.00 allows SDXC. The camera may not recognize the new card. You need an older SDHC card to put your bin file on. Just a thought.
11-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sorry that our suggestions have not helped solve your problem.

Here are a few things you may well have tried, but I'll list them out any way.
1. You might check the camera's battery contacts (and the batteries contacts as well) and clean them (for example by using the eraser on a pencil) if necessary.
2. If you have not already done so, try a completely new set of batteries (if you only have tried recharging and then re-installing the batteries you had been using when this problem started this time around).
3. You might try the above suggestion about trying a different SDHC card.
4. Just for the heck of it, check to make sure your lens is securely locked in place.

Just wondering, if you are trying to set up a photo, does Live View work? If you try to scroll through the photos on your SD card on camera can you scroll back and forth through them? You are unable to change your ISO, White Balance setting, set the timer or change the flash? Can you delete photos from your SD card in-camera? I am asking to try to determine which functions might still be working but to be honest, I am not sure whether the answers would be helpful in pinpointing your problem or not.

I do think that you may need to take/send the camera for examination and possible repair, as this sounds at this time like a problem with the camera's circuitry or hardware.
11-20-2014, 05:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
I haven't changed sd cards, but I did try a different one. Still Nothing.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 05:49 AM ----------

I'm sorry that our suggestions have not helped solve your problem.

Here are a few things you may well have tried, but I'll list them out any way.
1. You might check the camera's battery contacts (and the batteries contacts as well) and clean them (for example by using the eraser on a pencil) if necessary.
I will give this a try.
2. If you have not already done so, try a completely new set of batteries (if you only have tried recharging and then re-installing the batteries you had been using when this problem started this time around).
I will have to get some today. I did recharge a different set, didn't help. I wonder if I tried lithium batteries?
3. You might try the above suggestion about trying a different SDHC card.
Tried it.
4. Just for the heck of it, check to make sure your lens is securely locked in place.
I have taken the lens off and on numerous times, hoping it would kick into gear or something.

Just wondering, if you are trying to set up a photo, does Live View work? If you try to scroll through the photos on your SD card on camera can you scroll back and forth through them? You are unable to change your ISO, White Balance setting, set the timer or change the flash? Can you delete photos from your SD card in-camera? I am asking to try to determine which functions might still be working but to be honest, I am not sure whether the answers would be helpful in pinpointing your problem or not.
Live view doesn't work. I can't scroll through photos, the only time I can see one is when the automatic display that pops up after taking one. This is when the menu button will work, but can only access the first page of each tab. None of the buttons will work. When I change the mode, the camera knows it's changed, as it will show on the screen it's changed. In M mode, I can adjust the aperture, but not the TV. The rest of the modes highlights the exposure adjustment and that's it.

I do think that you may need to take/send the camera for examination and possible repair, as this sounds at this time like a problem with the camera's circuitry or hardware.
I agree.

---------- Post added 11-20-14 at 05:50 AM ----------

Thank you all for your suggestions, I do appreciate the help.