Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #1

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 repair advice needed

So I recently bought a Super Takumar 50mm F1.4, and before the mount adapter even arrived it got a dent on the focus ring causing it to be stuck. Like the inexperienced, ignorant person I was... I tried to fix it and unfortunatly made it worse. How can I cheaply replace the focus ring? Even broken lenses of this type for parts are hard to come by on ebay, is there another lens that shares the same focus ring? Would a repair shop be able to bend the focus ring back into a perfect ring? Please dont just comment on how much disrespect I showed this wonderful lens because I already know and will NEVER try to fix an issue like this on my own again.

11-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Bent Filter ring repair technique

I would say the takumar 1.8 and 2 share the same ring too but I am not sure.
11-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect you mean filter ring (not focus ring). Bending the focus ring would take some serious abuse.

Sergyergy is right to point you in the direction of the youtube clip. Can you do it yourself? with the tight tools yes, it is easy and I would recommend you try. Breaking into the lens is a must if you need to clean it at some time in the future.

As for parts I can say for CERTAIN that it is not easy to replace a filter ring/ nose. The Super Tak 8 element is different to the Super Tak 7 element 'transition' which is different to the latter super Tak 7 element models ..... at least three different filter rings/ nose parts.

If you search for parts make sure you buy a lens that has a very similar serial number - that way you reduce the chance of getting incompatible parts.
11-19-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You may want to contact Eric to see if he has a replacement part and for an estimate to repair/replace the ring.

His email is pentax27 @ aol.com.

His website is Home. Eric is world famous on this forum.

Tim

11-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I can fix it for you and have extra parts. Drop me a line if interested. Alternately, if it is indeed the filter ring and you wnat ot DIY, you can get one of these.

Last edited by dcshooter; 11-19-2014 at 11:10 AM.
11-19-2014, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
I can fix it for you and have extra parts. Drop me a line if interested. Alternately, if it is indeed the filter ring and you wnat ot DIY, you can get one of these.
The link does not go to anywhere that would be useful in camera DIY repairs
11-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let me google that for you
11-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Ha, apparently I copied the link form one of the sponsored "stories" on the side of the page. Let's try that again!

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Camera-Repair-Solid-Stainless/dp/B0068544M6

QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
The link does not go to anywhere that would be useful in camera DIY repairs

11-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
It is indeed the focus ring that requires repair. The original issue is that in my camera bag, the lens must have bumped into something hard (it was at the edge of the bag and i have yet to buy a more protective bag that has more room) and put a small dent on the focus ring that in turn very slightly bent in the filter ring. The filter ring was fine overall, but the focus ring wouldnt move because of its bent edge. I took the lens apart to find this out and ignorantly hoped to fix it myself despite my lack of knowledge and tools. Sergysergy mentioned that the 55mm f1.8 might share the same focus ring, that would be wonderful if this is true because I could pick one of those up for cheap and reassemble it easy. Ive tried researching this but have had no luck in finding specifications of any takumar lenses.
11-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You can't really count on even two lenses with the same name having interchangeable parts.
11-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickrogers Quote
It is indeed the focus ring that requires repair. The original issue is that in my camera bag, the lens must have bumped into something hard (it was at the edge of the bag and i have yet to buy a more protective bag that has more room) and put a small dent on the focus ring that in turn very slightly bent in the filter ring. The filter ring was fine overall, but the focus ring wouldnt move because of its bent edge. I took the lens apart to find this out and ignorantly hoped to fix it myself despite my lack of knowledge and tools. Sergysergy mentioned that the 55mm f1.8 might share the same focus ring, that would be wonderful if this is true because I could pick one of those up for cheap and reassemble it easy. Ive tried researching this but have had no luck in finding specifications of any takumar lenses.
Bummer. If the 55mm is interchangeable then you will have to swap over the distance scales otherwise you will be operating with the wrong scale. That said, I find it unlikely that the parts are interchangeable.

I'll check tonight. I have both lens types and will have a go at swapping parts. A bit of fun.

Otherwise, it might be a panel beating job!