Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 12:35 AM   #1

Pentax Asahi Spotmatic vs Pentax MV

Hi,

I'm currently looking to get into film photography for something new.
I've come down to 2 different Pentax models which I want to get, however having difficulty choosing the right one for me!

In terms of beginners level, and functionality. Which one would be the best suited for me?

Pentax Asahi Spotmatic
VS
Pentax MV

Thanks!

11-21-2014, 02:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Spotmatic as m42 screwmount only uses takumars and other m42 lenses of which there are many but the mv uses k mount and with an adapter all the takumars as well.
That could be a consideration.
The Spottie is all manual, priority nothing.
The mv has some automaticity with the metering I am not sure what but that can be researched on the camera reviews part of the forums.
The mv is smaller and lighter than the Spottie and one of the simplest of the m series but rather battery dependent.
Interesting Choice.
11-21-2014, 02:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
The Spotmatic as m42 screwmount only uses takumars and other m42 lenses of which there are many but the mv uses k mount and with an adapter all the takumars as well.
That could be a consideration.
The Spottie is all manual, priority nothing.
The mv has some automaticity with the metering I am not sure what but that can be researched on the camera reviews part of the forums.
The mv is smaller and lighter than the Spottie and one of the simplest of the m series but rather battery dependent.
Interesting Choice.
The only reason I have chose these 2 are they're the both most appealing 35mm's for sale in my region. I'm going for a smaller price range at the moment, purely because I'll be just starting. From some of the research I have done, and information from the seller, the Spotmatic has automatic exposure (Which I'm looking for).

Below are the 2 ads.

Spotmatic:
CAMERA ASAHI Pentax Spotmatic | Non Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Stirling Area - North Beach | 1062590586

MV:
Pentax MV camera | Non Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Bayswater Area - Bedford | 1062451367
11-21-2014, 02:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The user manuals for both these models can be download from:

PENTAX MANUALS

You can see what features they have from the manuals.

11-21-2014, 03:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What lenses do you have? If you have good K-mount lenses with aperture rings, get the K-mount DSLR. If you have m42 lenses, get Spotmatic. If you have no lenses that can be used on old bodies, decide how much automation you want. Spotmatic will be fun, but its not for impatient people who expect the camera to do work for them. Its a machine, in the most literal sense. Some people love that, others prefer automation. You have to decide which camera fits your wants the best. They both have a learning curve, but you can use shortcuts like Sunny 16 rule and hyperfocal focusing at the beginning.
Good luck
11-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My first Pentax was a beautiful black body Spotmatic and I absolutely loved it. However, If you plan to do both film and digital, you will be better off with the K-mount simply because the lenses are interchangeable between the two bodies. The only caveat that I know of is that many of the latest lenses lack an aperture ring and thus will not work correctly on the older body.
11-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Spotmatic does not have any kind of automatic exposure.

Pentax Spotmatic - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

The MV requires two cheap batteries and has a much better viewfinder.

Pentax MV - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aoeu Quote
The Spotmatic does not have any kind of automatic exposure.
Having owned a Spotmatic, I can confirm this. It does have a built-in light meter, but the user must adjust shutter speed on the camera and aperture on the lens in order to bring the needle in the viewfinder to the area of "proper" exposure.

11-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The MV will not give you an indication of the shutter speeds you are using. All you get is a green light. With a Spotmatic, since it is all manual, you will know the speed at the expense of setting it yourself. Alternatively, you could get a used ME Super for manual focus or a SF1n for autofocus (and still use manual focus lenses).
11-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #10

Don't buy the MV, it gives you no indication of shutter speed beyond a green light to say that it's 1/60 or faster.

I have one, have used it, and found that a real pain as it essentially limits you to 50mm or shorter lenses to avoid shake. I can work around only having aperture priority auto mode but I need to know what shutter speed it has picked.

I'd look for a P30t or P30n if you want a cheap but good K mount body. They have program mode (if the lens has an "A" setting on its aperture ring), aperture priority and metered manual (with any K lens with an aperture ring not set to A). As they're not that old and don't have much in the way of foam light seals they won't need servicing for a while yet, assuming they work on arrival. They are reliant on batteries but a pair of spare LR44s aren't heavy or bulky to carry. I can't think of any shot I wouldn't be able to get with my P30n.
11-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What lenses do you have? If you have good K-mount lenses with aperture rings, get the K-mount DSLR. If you have m42 lenses, get Spotmatic. If you have no lenses that can be used on old bodies, decide how much automation you want. Spotmatic will be fun, but its not for impatient people who expect the camera to do work for them. Its a machine, in the most literal sense. Some people love that, others prefer automation. You have to decide which camera fits your wants the best. They both have a learning curve, but you can use shortcuts like Sunny 16 rule and hyperfocal focusing at the beginning.
Good luck
Thanks for the reply mate! I'm only looking to have one lense on it the whole time, purely because I'll be only starting out and will be focusing more on getting the hang of the whole film thing so a K mount is not necessary for a variety of interchangeable lenses.

I'm only really looking at automatic exposure cameras because once I get the hang of it I'll purchase more manual cameras as I get more experience!

Do you have any recommendations at all?

Thanks!
11-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #12

I would pass on the MV, since the ME Super isn't much more but is a much better camera. If you're looking to use m42 lenses in their native fashion, any good working spotmatic will do great. If you want to use K mount lenses get an MX for a manual experience similar to the spotmatic or an ME Super if you're looking mostly for aperture priority.

The ME Super is fairly inexpensive, reliable, has a great viewfinder and is very small and compact. Take a peek at the reviews and information on this site.

Pentax MV - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax MX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax Spotmatic - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-22-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Spotmatic gives one all the control over focus, exposure (aperture and shutter with VF readout) and composition needed for any photo, and the lenses are very capable. Everything newer adds features - not capability. Learn to use a Spotmatic well and you need nothing else, but can adapt to anything. Start with a more "automatic" camera and it's hard to pick up the basics of a manual camera.
11-22-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Pentaxian

@TomB_tx I agree strongly with this position as that was the way I learned and have never needed the mode dial on my cameras as a consequence.
The Spottie is just so capable and easy to use. I have an mv but prefer the spottie for all the advantages mentioned above.
11-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi guys! Just an update.

A few more cameras have come to my attention which I can purchase, however they're not Pentax's so I don't know how this will go haha!

But the camera's which have come up are:
1. Minolta XG-M
2. Minolta XG-1
3. Minolta XG 2
4. Olympus OM-10

Sorry for the fuss guys, but i appreciate everyones input! Just trying to find the best camera which will be suited to my needs. Which are being automatic and relatively easy for a beginner!

Thanks!