Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #16

Original Poster
So consensus seems to be nothing to worry about..

Thanks all, and may I say what a great first time posting with you guys. Am new to pentax but loving this camera so far. Will hopefully stick around on these forums! Many thanks all

11-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
The *rattle rattle*?
It's more like a "thump thump"
11-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
It's more like a "thump thump"
More like a wooden whirligig half twirled.
11-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
Site Supporter

My Experience

I now have that sound with my K-5lls. I sent it to Precision-Camera to repair a mirror hiccup issue and when it returned to me 4 months later it had the funky sound that is very loud and vibrates the camera a great deal. Also the viewfinder center focus indicator was no longer centered and the ISO defaults back to the lowest available (80-100) every time on start up in Manual or SV mode. Does anyone know if the ISO issue is a setting I can adjust so that it stays where it was last set when powered down?

11-24-2014, 05:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
I now have that sound with my K-5lls. I sent it to Precision-Camera to repair a mirror hiccup issue and when it returned to me 4 months later it had the funky sound that is very loud and vibrates the camera a great deal. Also the viewfinder center focus indicator was no longer centered and the ISO defaults back to the lowest available (80-100) every time on start up in Manual or SV mode. Does anyone know if the ISO issue is a setting I can adjust so that it stays where it was last set when powered down?
look in your menu memory settings
11-24-2014, 05:55 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I have the K-50. Other than the dust removal clatter it makes no noise of any kind when it is turned on. I supposed it could be related to some menu setting but that how mine works.
12-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #22

Hi there

I just stumbled upon this thread while playing with my K3 I received yesterday. I also owned a K5 before and with the same lens on it it makes nearly the same "startup sound" as on my K5.
If you go to the menu and do a manual dust removal you should hear nearly nothing to a tinylittle sound because is far as I remember this is done using movements in the ultrasonic range. If I get very close on the K3 with my ear and do the dust removal I can hear a very very high peep. So my guess is the mechanical sound you hear at the startup is just some focus/aperture-motor test that depends on the lens that is attached.

I tried to record the sounds:

The startup noise:
k3_on_sound - Clyp
The dust removal peep (heavy amplified):
k3_dust_clean - Clyp

greets
Paul
12-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dasPaul Quote
Hi there

I just stumbled upon this thread while playing with my K3 I received yesterday. I also owned a K5 before and with the same lens on it it makes nearly the same "startup sound" as on my K5.
If you go to the menu and do a manual dust removal you should hear nearly nothing to a tinylittle sound because is far as I remember this is done using movements in the ultrasonic range. If I get very close on the K3 with my ear and do the dust removal I can hear a very very high peep. So my guess is the mechanical sound you hear at the startup is just some focus/aperture-motor test that depends on the lens that is attached.

I tried to record the sounds:

The startup noise:
k3_on_sound - Clyp
The dust removal peep (heavy amplified):
k3_dust_clean - Clyp

greets
Paul
Thanks! It is the focus motor but for some reason it was much louder after I sent it to the repair center. I ended up contacting several people at ricoh and they agreed to send me a new k-5lls which is much quieter.