Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #1

K-3 StartUp Buzz / Noise - Aperture motor?

Hi all

about 2 months ago I upgraded to a K3 and happy with it so far,
just a few days ago I noticed a strange short buzz noise coming from the camera when I turn it on. Now, I did some reading around, and found lots of people with K5 cameras talking about this same noise, and saying it comes from the aperture motor starting up.

So really I just wanted to double check that it can indeed be normal in the K3 too, and that it isnt a problem I need to get fixed... I can send it off for repairs as it is still well in warranty, but I don't really want to risk being without my camera as I have some trips abroad coming up in the new year, and only have the 1 camera!

Any K3 owners have the same noise? Is it ok, or something I should be doing something about. So far I have noticed no change in performance whatsoever, just this noise that started seemingly randomly and now won't go away!

Cheers

11-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I have not noticed any particular noise on start-up with my K-3. In the past, Pentax cameras would make sort of a growly noise if dust removal was set to run at start-up. It may be that which you are hearing, though the dust removal system is much quieter on the K-3.

Steve
11-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks, and thanks for your reply!

The dust removal is turned off, so it isn't that. It is almost certainly the aperture motor, as when I turn the camera on without a lens, looking into the body, I can see it twitch when the noise is made... so I know that is the cause, just wondering if it is a problem or not! Are you able to see if your K3 aperture control moves on startup like I described mine doing?

Like I said... wary to get it sent off for a long time really, don't want to be without a camera :/
11-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I havent really heard of anything like that before, only the dust removal system making noise. its best you send it in for repair then. make sure you ask for a replacement since sometimes repairs can take over 2 months

11-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dMwBennn Quote
Hi, thanks, and thanks for your reply!

The dust removal is turned off, so it isn't that. It is almost certainly the aperture motor, as when I turn the camera on without a lens, looking into the body, I can see it twitch when the noise is made... so I know that is the cause, just wondering if it is a problem or not! Are you able to see if your K3 aperture control moves on startup like I described mine doing?

Like I said... wary to get it sent off for a long time really, don't want to be without a camera :/
I believe this is normal, especially if the sound is slightly different with different lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
Its slightly different but only due to the acoustic properties of the lens - the noise comes from inside the body, so different lens on top of the opening = different noise

Any other thoughts?

Thanks all for replies so far
11-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mine does it. Pretty sure it's the aperture popping from F22 to full open. Audible in a quiet room, and I didn't think much of it. My older k-x didn't do it, but my K-01 makes it audible because it changes the aperture constantly due to live view.

11-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dMwBennn Quote
It is almost certainly the aperture motor
Ok...I got the camera out and gave it the once over.
  • I do have a noise on start-up. It sounds similar to when the optical DOF preview is actuated.
  • The noise is not related to the dust removal feature
  • The sound is less distinct with my Sigma 17-70 than with the DA 50/1.8 or FA 35/2
  • Looking through the lens at start-up the camera flicks the iris one time
  • I am running firmware v1.11
It is funny that I never noticed it before. For all I know my K10D might have done the same thing. I would be curious to see what users do NOT have the noise.

My K-3 serial number is 4867947 and was purchased Spring of 2014.

Steve

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 10:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
I havent really heard of anything like that before
Just for giggles, could you check your K-50?

Steve
11-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

It's just your camera saying "yup, ready to go"! I sometimes also make the sound myself when starting my K-5's to bond with them, they like it.

---------- Post added 11-21-14 at 08:11 PM ----------

I've had a K-7, I now got two K-5 and my brother had a K-5, all made that exact sound. No worry.

Also I could hear the hear the high pitch dust removal in quiet locations in all of them and the same when focusing with SDM in lenses, no matter some argue that they can't. Note that I got light tinnitus and quite bad hearing for my age, I don't get how so many pretty young can't hear any of the sounds mentioned.
11-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
... I don't get how so many pretty young can't hear any of the sounds mentioned.

Heavy Metal
11-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Heavy Metal
How do you think I ruined my ears?
11-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Also I could hear the hear the high pitch dust removal in quiet locations in all of them and the same when focusing with SDM in lenses, no matter some argue that they can't. Note that I got light tinnitus and quite bad hearing for my age, I don't get how so many pretty young can't hear any of the sounds mentioned.
Pffft, I can easily hear the dust removal in my k-x/k-30
11-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Pffft, I can easily hear the dust removal in my k-x/k-30
The *rattle rattle*?
11-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The *rattle rattle*?
It's how I can tell that my camera actually turned on
11-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Just for giggles, could you check your K-50?

Steve
Will do. I always had the dust removal come on upon startup so maybe thats why i havent noticed