Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I've often heard that, but it does not account for the positive benefits of a diffuser and/or flash bracket. Diffused flash looks more natural than bare flash. A flash bracket hides ugly shadows behind the subject and eliminates red-eye.
Also true. I was talking about just a bare camera mounted flash in it's most simplistic terms. When I don't have a ceiling or wall to bounce the flash off of, I use a DIY bowl diffuser like this and a bracket. It helps quite a lot.

11-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's a nice tip, and a terrific picture with an interesting angle... were you on a chair or something?
Yep, used a chair. I keep a 6 ft ladder & knee pads on my truck. Shooting at eye level is okay for headshots but not much else.

11-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #48
Pentaxian

By the look in its face, the dog thought you were pointing a gun at him instead of a camera.
11-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tried to use that Foamy Thing at the Thanksgiving Dinner and it did not work well at all.
Pentax Ist-ds with the SMC Pentax 1:2.8 24mm, ISO 200 and about f/5.6
Flash was AF360 FGZ with swivel and tilt

Photographing the cook removing the bird from the oven in the long kitchen, I was not able to get bounce flash in the distance. The close objects were over-exposed by bounce from ceiling and the objects at 3 metre were under exposed. I tried various angles etc with not much success.

In the dining room, with the white table cloth, , the flash bounced off the ceiling downwards and overexposed the table cloth surface while leaving the faces of the persons around the table under exposed.
(Sorry I can't put samples up as I try not to put up photos of family members or anybody recognizable.)

11-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the Foamy Thing being used as a flag? That's to light part of a subject's face - to make them 3D.

If you want to illuminate several objects in an area, you're going to need to diffuse in many directions with a Fong or similar, or use more than one flash as per interiors in real estate photography (people equals no HDR).
11-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Each item one buys or makes for use with lighting has a purpose. Without understanding and knowing what effect the item creates at different camera settings, Flash settings, angles and distances both on and off one's camera then one can only expect crap shoot results. Like Clackers mentioned one of the better on or off camera flash diffusers is a Lambency type like the Fong or another I find very useful it the Rouge Flash Bender.
11-30-2014, 11:24 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by twey Quote
Same for a K-m. The manually popped flash in "green mode" (auto pict) changed shutter speed to 1/45 and aperture remains same. This is the same behavior as with auto-pop.

I did have one occasion that auto-pop did not change shutter speed and became over exposure, but does change if I popped it manually. It stay with that behavior even after few camera off/on cycle. It went away after I changed to force flash from menu and back to auto flash. I think it was a firmware problem.
Follow up on the flash in green mode:

End up when the popping the flash did not change the shutter speed is cause by the "auto pict" switched to night scene portrait mode which switched to slow sync mode. Just missed that green symbol.
12-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
That's a nice tip, and a terrific picture with an interesting angle... were you on a chair or something?
More than likely off camera using light stands.

12-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
More than likely off camera using light stands.
That's not what I asked... nor what he replied...
12-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #55

Yongnuo 560iii is a great flash, I highly recomend. You can bounce off the ceiling, wall, whatever, as the head moves in every direction. This is an all manual flash but it is very powerful and only about 75 bucks
12-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Here's my suggestion for a quick fix. Do not use Auto ISO. Use A-mode for aperture, select an ISO that is a stop or two below what you need for ambient light and fire away. Try this first, it is the quick answer to your overexposure problem.

The best answer of course is an external flash, with diffuser and preferably bounced off the ceiling.
Scott, have you tried my suggestion? Auto ISO is a known problem with Pentax flash, even if you use an external flash. Try it, what is there to lose?
12-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #57

Original Poster
Scott, have you tried my suggestion? Auto ISO is a known problem with Pentax flash, even if you use an external flash. Try it, what is there to lose?
Dan,
I've tried one thing, but just haven't had any spare time...unfortunately....to devote to "fun stuff". I made an extremely primative and simplistic diffuser out of a sheet of white paper, made to slip over the pop up flash on my DS. Looks goofy, but...it actually helped a little bit. I think it dimmed the flash intensity, diffused it somewhat, and there actually was a small hole in the top of the "tee-pee" looking cone of paper that probably shone a little of the flash on the ceiling.
Like I said, extremely primative and definitely flimsy, but...bottom line is that it helped.

I've made notes from all the suggestions given in this thread, and hope to have some time while I'm off work a few days around Christmas. Maybe...maybe I'll have some spare time to play and experiment and use some of the great ideas I've been reading about. Thanks for your help, and everybody else reading this and whom have responded as well!

Scott
12-05-2014, 09:24 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
Dan,
I've tried one thing, but just haven't had any spare time...unfortunately....to devote to "fun stuff".
Scott
The testing is not very involved. Take a photo in a darkish room with flash and Auto ISO. Take the same photo with the camera set for manual ISO, about two stops below what you would need without flash. You will see the difference you're looking for.
12-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #59

Original Poster
Okay, I tried your suggestion Dan, and it did improve the harshness of my Auto ISO flash picture. Neat! Like you said, it could still be better, but it is considerably better than the auto way,
Scott
12-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astronomersmith Quote
Okay, I tried your suggestion Dan, and it did improve the harshness of my Auto ISO flash picture. Neat! Like you said, it could still be better, but it is considerably better than the auto way,
Scott
Practice, practice, practice.

---------- Post added 2014-12-06 at 10:28 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
It is an LPL brand, made of pressed steel with molded plastic grip, purchased about 1982

There are a few used ones out there:
Vintage LPL Flash Handle Camera Grip Bracket Professional Good Condition ::. www.DiaplousFoto.com

I modified mine to remove the cold shoe and replace by a 1/4 hole so I can mount hot shoes on it to adapt the pc cable to the Takumar 6x7 and the Pentax off-camera-shoe adaptors + cables ( costly) for the Pentax DSLRS and flashes..
My LDL flash bracket arrived yesterday from Virginia. It's in mint condition and no modifications needed (cold shoe fits my cord). Brilliant! Extremely compact, comfortable grip, tilting head, great price. It won't be quite as effective as my large bracket, but I am far more likely to have the small bracket with me, which is a huge advantage. The tilting head was an unexpected bonus; rotation and offset from the camera center are great for macro shooting.

Thanks again for pointing it out.