Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
M42 adapter

I would like to try some lens stacking ( one lens in front of the other ) , for some serious Macro .
Anyhow , I was thinking of the M42 lenses ..
And how if you put on a lens adapter ring you could simply then screw the M42 lens in front of another ( filter thread )
So I was wondering ( after checking the net - ebay etc ) , does such a simple animal exist ???
I would love a M42 adapter that screws into a 49mm - 52mm - 55mm - 58/62mm filter thread ..

11-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think your best bet to enable you to mount another lens to the M42 lens would be a step ring. Use the adapter as you usually would to mount the initial M42mm lens, then use a step up ring to mount another lens to the M42 lens.
11-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm

I think I found two :

52mm to 42mm 52 42 M42 Filter Adapter Ring | eBay This one

Reversing Ring 49mm M42 Screw Mount 49mm M42 Reverse Reversal Ring Made in Japan | eBay I have no idea on this one ?

Im going to buy the first as it looks to be whats needed , it can then be stepped up or down ..
11-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what you need know is a m42 variable tube

Unexpectedly I just received one in a random job lot.

I suspect you will need to synthesize the registration distance to maintain focus - but that is a guess.

11-25-2014, 05:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

When "stacking" lenses for macro you mount them filter ring to filter ring. So all you need is a filter coupling reverse ring - male filter threads on both ends. Lenses on either end can be of any mount. You can get them in various combinations of filter diameter.

Magnification is roughly dividing the focal lengths. Such as a 100mm with a 50mm lens reversed on it would be 2:1 (2x).

These should not be confused with the lens mount reverse adapters which have male filter threads on one end and the appropriate lens mount on the other.

This first ring you linked won't work for what you want to do. The rear elements of a screwmount lens protrude to far and the thread pitch is probably wrong.

The second adapter is the lens mount reverse adapter mentioned above. This is used with a single lens mounted reversed to the camera body.
You want something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Filter-Coupling-Reverse-Ring-Adapter-for-52mm-to-52m...item1e89ecd4b9

See this thread for ideas and an explanation of reverse stacking.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macr...lose-work.html

Last edited by Not a Number; 11-25-2014 at 06:14 AM.
11-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have coupler rings , .....
But last night I was looking through some old mould infested lenses ( given to me , and I haven't thrown them out as I have a task for them )
And I noticed it did not really matter if the stacked lens went forward or backward , to the naked eye ..
So to experiment , I thought M42 might be choice ..
Just my need to experiment ...
11-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
And I noticed it did not really matter if the stacked lens went forward or backward , to the naked eye ..
According to the Pentax Auto Bellows A manual:
QuoteQuote:
Figs. 1 to 3 refer to the Macro 50mm lens. The lens has been designed for focusing with "a" larger than "b" which is the case for ordinary photography as in Fig. 1. So it is only natural that optimum sharpness when photographing larger than life size, as in Fig. 3, is achieved with the lens reversed.

When the lens-to-film distance of any lens is twice the focal length of the lens, as show in in Fig. 2 on the next page, the photographic magnification will be 1× (life size).
Attached Images