Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K5iis live view is acting up.

I used LV today first time since I got new K5iis. When I focused and pressed the shutter release, the camera just turned dead. Nothing worked, and picture was not taken. I turned the camera off, then turned on again, and camera worked in LV mode again.

It happened 3 times today, out of maybe 20 or 30 shots. Has someone had similar problem? Should I return the camera?

11-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the battery fully charged?
11-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Battery was almost full.
11-27-2014, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Battery was almost full.
OEM battery or third party? Sounds like a voltage issue to me.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The battery came with new Pentax just this Monday from BH, D-LI90
11-27-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I also realized today that flare I thought is from lens is actually sensor (?) flare. It ruins all my night shots with K5iis. More tests needed, but it's for the first time I got so nasty flare! I've been shooting night road before with Helios on Canon and K200D, but never got so ugly all over flares like tonight.
I'm going to test the same lenses on different cameras. Maybe is it some internal problem?
11-27-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It may take 2 or 3 discharge and recharges before the battery comes up to full potential.

11-28-2014, 01:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@micromacro - Cover up your viewfinder with a hat or something thick for your night shots. Long night exposures often lead to light leaks which is probably what you are seeing, not flare.
11-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@micromacro - Cover up your viewfinder with a hat or something thick for your night shots. Long night exposures often lead to light leaks which is probably what you are seeing, not flare.
I did quick test yesterday night with LV and VF not with long exposure hand held, same thing, ugly weird flare. I know for sure that Helios on that subject (lamp) on K200D did not have that problem. Also, with LV camera turned dead one more time again. I'm charging the battery full again for tonight.

So, tonight I'm going to test one lens with my 3 different cameras (Canon Sl1, K200D and K5iis) on tripod (Takumar M42 ), with same settings, without covering and with covering VF.

Last edited by micromacro; 11-28-2014 at 06:39 AM.
11-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Can you post an example?
11-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I uploaded unedited picures. Flickr link to the whole album does not work for some reason, so it's one by one, sorry:

For comparison is shot with Canon, LV is not covered. There is no purple marks of circles. Of course, it has been taken with different lens, but manual Helios has never acted like on road pictures yesterday.

Last edited by micromacro; 11-28-2014 at 09:37 AM.
11-28-2014, 11:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a CLA45! I'll try not to get distracted.

I have not seen either issue with my K-5 IIs. The battery does take a few charge/discharge cycles to get its full life. I think even at first, you should get a few hundred shots between charges, even with extra time to enter copyright data. But with the K-7, I know the camera will die just like that with a weak battery and pressing the Live View button. I'd start tracking the exact charge history, usage pattern (like extra use of onboard flash, LV, review) and shots to narrow this down.

I haven't seen the flare thing either. I've taken hundreds of shots at night, but now that I look, all with SMC lenses. I'd definitely compare other cameras, as everyone will be thinking it's the Helios until you can show comparable photos with other cameras.

Back to the CLA45, how do they get 355hp out of 2 liters and to drive well, plus last as long as a Mercedes customer expects?
11-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seems to me after the search that I'm dealing with aliasing artifacts.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It's a CLA45! I'll try not to get distracted.
I've been trying to figure out what the heck is CLA45 for K5iis?

And yes, I've not tried SMC lens yet, and I don't have any DA lens either to try. I was thinking about selling my Canon SL1, but may be it's not a good idea for now before I figure out how to get good night shots from K5iiis.

I really love K5iis and don't want to return it. I've played with multiply exposure yesterday, it's so much fun!
And yes, my lenses which I tried on K5iis are behaving differently than on other cameras. I've never could get great sharpness before from helios and supertak wide open! More manual lenses to test. And maybe I need to buy at least kit WR DA lens, or something better.

---------- Post added 11-28-14 at 11:51 AM ----------

And here is the one picture I actually like with flare. Kind of light fountain.

11-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My test was ruined. I took shots with Canon, then came back with Pentax, but my neighbors turned lamps off. When I focused on other house, someone's car stopped near with lights on.
Anyway, with TeleTak 200mm f5.6 preset, with rear element in "tube" (far from the mirror) I did not notice any flare at all. The LV acted up a bit in the beginning, then worked like a charm.

Here is ISO100, f/8 for both cameras, as is, converted from raw.
Canon SL1
Pentax K5iis
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS REBEL SL1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo