Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Super Takumar aperture pin control broken

So I have a Super Takumar 200mm f4 lens. Stuck in Auto aperture mode and the control switch is broken. Everything else is in working order.

What would the best way to deal with this problem? Just gluing the pin down or taking the lens apart and switching modes once apart.
As I want to use the lens on my k-50

Image of the lens:

11-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Is that just a hole where the switch should be? Doesn't that cause a light leak? As far as "fixing" it, either method will work (assuming you can get it open and flip the switch for option #2) -- if the switch can't be moved without taking it apart, that might be the better option since you won't be in danger of accidentally switching back and maybe you can fix it for real some day.
11-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't see what the switch is supposed to look like but maybe you can drill into it where the switch lever was and use a tiny screwdriver to switch it.
Maybe use say a 2mm drill bit and drill a divot with the drill tip. Don't go right through.
11-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Is that just a hole where the switch should be? Doesn't that cause a light leak? As far as "fixing" it, either method will work (assuming you can get it open and flip the switch for option #2) -- if the switch can't be moved without taking it apart, that might be the better option since you won't be in danger of accidentally switching back and maybe you can fix it for real some day.
Yes that is the hole where the switch should be. In its current state there in no light leak that I can see. so most of the inside must be intact.
I'm thinking taking the lens apart would be best to see how much is really damaged.

11-28-2014, 12:45 AM   #5

If you are in the US consider contacting Eric Hendrickson about repairing this. He may have parts from donor lenses.

Eric Hendrickson:
Home
11-28-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are in the US consider contacting Eric Hendrickson about repairing this. He may have parts from donor lenses.

Eric Hendrickson:
Home
thanks for the info.
11-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is from a Super-Takumar 135/3.5 and is probably similar to your lens. The typical Tak construction is a one-piece mount assembly like this. It's attached to the rest of the lens with screws under the aperture ring. You have to take the front of the lens apart and focus ring off before you can slide the aperture ring off, catch the ball bearing trapped under it, and see these screws.

The M-A switch has a tab that goes through a slot in the casing. It attaches to the darker brass ring with the two slotted screws on the right. (Follow that ring around to the other side and see the flat spring that clicks between switch positions.) You can see a light shield here that is probably helping block a light leak on your lens.

A quick fix is to bend the tip of a paperclip to a 90 degree angle, stick it the slot for the M-A switch and into one of those screw holes. Then move the internal brass ring to the M position. The aperture ring now controls the aperture directly. Tape up the slot and use the lens.

The 200mm lenses might come apart easier from the front, but I've never had one of these apart. On the 135/3.5, you have to take off the trim ring, remove three screws holding the filter ring, remove three screws holding on the focus ring, then slide off the aperture ring. Because the 200mm is longer, there is often a way to remove the front part of the lens in one assembly. I know for later lenses, you can focus to the minimum distance, grab the front barrel and unscrew the front part of the lens. Then figure out how to get the focus ring off.