Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #1

polarizing filter

I keep seeing people mention polarizing filters and wanted to know if they were worth it and any brand recommendations?

11-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're among the few filters that can't be replaced by post-processing, so yes, they're worth it IMO.

Check out this article:
Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They're among the few filters that can't be replaced by post-processing, so yes, they're worth it IMO.

Check out this article:
Polarizing Filter Basics - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Adam, Thanks for the link. The article mentions that pentax cameras don't need a CP filter. Would you still recommend a CP over LP?
11-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
CP's are mainly used for DSLR's, LP's are used for Film SLRs.

Would recommend getting a CP. It'll even work on film SLR's also

11-28-2014, 09:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
CP's are mainly used for DSLR's, LP's are used for Film SLRs.

Would recommend getting a CP. It'll even work on film SLR's also
Thanks! Any recommendations on brand that is good quality but not the most expensive?
11-28-2014, 09:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tiffen is one brand to look at, especially right now since on adorama.com seems to be having a clearance on some of their Tiffen CP's (http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=itemlist&cat1=Lens Filters&cat2=Polari...iffen&sf=Price), a majority of them are under $50 bucks (depending on what you're need is, filter wise).
11-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Tiffen is one brand to look at, especially right now since on adorama.com seems to be having a clearance on some of their Tiffen CP's (http://bit.ly/1y2bkNR), a majority of them are under $50 bucks (depending on what you're need is, filter wise).

Great, Thanks for the help!

11-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What you choose to buy depends on your budget and what lens you intend to use it with,putting a cheap glass filter on a high quality lens doesn't make much sense.If your using a wide angle lens you'll want to look for a slim filter to avoid vignetting.I own a Marumi CP filter that i am very happy with and reviews say it performs as well as some costing twice as much.It's your coin but my advice is do a little reading on the subject and make an informed choice based on quality and price.
11-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Don't be fooled by warnings against "cheap glass." I used to buy CPs from B+W, an expensive German outfit. Two of them literally fell apart! Whereas the Chinese-made "Agfa" filters are solid and very inexpensive.
11-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, cost is no longer necessarily an indicator of quality. But the problem is that so many brands make multiple series of the same kind of filter, which makes it difficult to give accurate recommendations. I suggest mostly that you buy it from a reputable store, so you don't get an internet fake. And research the specific brands that are available for you, within your budget. No need to look at dozens of tests if none of those filters are available to you anyway.
And I do recommend you get a polarizer. A good one. If you have lenses with different filter thread sizes, you can buy step up/down rings to bridge the gap, so you don't have to buy as many filters. Pentax mostly uses 49mm and 52mm, but there are other filter thread sizes as well.
Also, using a polarizer with ultra wide lenses (wider than 20mm or so) can cause parts of the sky to be blotchy, dark. Just letting you know.