Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
First Wedding Help!

First of all could not get out of it, will have to do my best.
I have K5lls and will rent another body. Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 - 70-200 f/2.8 - 50 1.8 also Metz 52.
I have had my K5 for short of a year, but have not shot much with flash.
Wedding will be in the back yard, in their home if weather is not good.
I really need to go the safe rought on this one! Any help on settings modes, light modifiers etc. I would be grateful for any help!
Thank You

11-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
prepare tripod/ monopod if you can't hold body and lens steady for long time, if you rent another body why don't also rent another flash with omni bounce (metz/ pentax) with higher GN, and wide angle lenses (for whole family photo), save data RAW, setting mode TAV, light modifiers auto (you save data in raw no need to worry), if you shot make sure better darker rather than washout white, use 2 body one for tamron 28-75 and another 70-200 about the 50 f.18 if you to change the lens thing twice, may me not enough time to switch or you lose some fun/ important moment , sleep, eat well before the party, you need a lot of stamina+ concentration and pray before doing your job (beware of quest to guests who also carries a camera may be they will block your view when you want to take picture) about the ( f/ ) i don't understand much but i suggest don't to often use wide open
11-29-2014, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My suggestion: Take the money you will spend on rentals and additional gear and offer it to the couple while explaining why they should get a seasoned pro.
11-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Take the money you will spend on rentals and additional gear and offer it to the couple while explaining why they should get a seasoned pro.
That's probably the best advice.
If you're determined to shoot anyway, I suggest practice using fill flash for the outside shots.

11-29-2014, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I am assuming you are an amateur, like me. I got pulled into shooting a wedding a couple of years ago, and can give you my perspective from an amateur viewpoint. That may be more important than what you would get from a Pro, because even though they have excellent skills and experience, after all they are Pros.........at the end of the day you will still be an amateur and will be shooting with amateur skills.We don't become a Pro overnight or just because we got good advice!

*First, make it clear that you are not a Pro and put some of the pressure on your subject and off of you.
*Scope out the terrain in advance, trying to account for distances, lighting, weather etc. so you don't get ugly surprises on the day of the event.
*Don't over-equip....you have limited time for lens changing and other changes. I shot with one lens, a 2.8 28-70 and it was adequate. I had other lenses available including the DA * 50-130, but the 28-70 got almost all the use. That Tamron 28-75 looks like a winner to me. The more you switch about......the more shots you miss...remember that!
*Of course...take as many shots as you can! It is easier to delete than to process a shot you didn't take.

If possible......have another shooter help you. In my case, I gave Mrs Rupert the little X10 and let her roam about snapping away. She is not even an amateur, only knew how to turn the camera on and off...and barely that.....yet some of the best shots were captured by her efforts. I also had an assistant that carried around my equipment bag so I could concentrate only on shooting......but never used him since I stuck to my "keep it simple" strategy.

Another technique that I have seen used is to create an online site where you can have the guests upload their cell phone shots. Print a card that gives them directions and the password to upload. You'd be surprised how many really memorable shots can be obtained this way. I have not done this, but have seen the results and it is a great idea that offers views only one shooter could never achieve. Remember This! ....weddings are about memories, not about pixel peeping and technical excellence. Unless you are shooting a "Royal Event" what the subjects want are great memories in a reasonably well shot photo. Give them that and they will be happy!

My "customers".....not really.......these were friends, the girl had modeled for me for several years.....and I shot it for free, were very happy with the results. More so than I was, but still, they were happy and that is what counts in the end.

Here are a selection of the shots I took. There are mistakes an technical problems galore, missed opportunities, and a lot of "if only I had" thoughts, but in the end it turned out and I learned......Mostly I learned to never shoot another wedding! It was 6 hours of hard work....I started in the bride's cabin at 3 pm and shot her as she prepared with her bridesmaids, and left at 9pm when it was all over.

Look these over, you can get some idea of what to do.....and what not to do.....the Exif is intact, so you can see what settings I used.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157629384170600/

The bride's favorite....shot by Mrs Rupert and the Toy Camera X10......this is the one that was hung on their wall right away. Don't discount what another shooter might add to your production!

I mentioned that the bride had modeled for me for free for several years as I attempted to improve my shooting skills...here are a few of what we had done prior to the wedding. Lovely young lady...her mom too!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35763648@N05/sets/72157625126102173/

There is so much more that could be added, perhaps others will add their thoughts, but I hope some of these ideas will make it easier and more productive for you.

Best Regards & Good luck for your success, I bet you will do just fine!
Rupert

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 11:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
My suggestion: Take the money you will spend on rentals and additional gear and offer it to the couple while explaining why they should get a seasoned pro.
Tell them you only shoot Professional couples and ask to see at least 3 prior wedding licenses for each.

Regards!
11-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's comment! Wish I could crewl1
This is my niece's wedding, and could not talk her out of it, this is a family thing. (Worse yet, but grateful) She understands and I told her this is not in my wheelhouse and is ok with that.
I know I am a amateur, in this type of photography!
Mixberry, Para, Rupert
Thank You, for your time and expertise!
Nice Images Rupert

---------- Post added 11-29-14 at 07:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's probably the best advice.
If you're determined to shoot anyway, I suggest practice using fill flash for the outside shots.
I have been working on that, hard to explain to people thinking your just ripping off photo's

Thank you for your help!
12-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #7

I would highly suggest finding a friend or family member to be a second shooter. Even having had some experience (about 40 weddings), I still find it very difficult during moments that can't be repeated (e.g., ceremony, entrances, first dance) to get anything but the bread and butter shots. If you can find some help, you could split who takes the mundane (but absolutely necessary) photos of what's going on, and who has more freedom to do journalistic candids and more creative fare.