Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #1

Image not saved

Hi,

I was recently taking photos with my K-r and using a RawSteel 8Gb SD card. I could review the photos in the lcd, even see multiple images on the lcd, but when I turned the camera on later that day no images were available in the LCD. Reviewing on my computer showed the folder for that date existed but is empty. There are 7Gb free on the card, less than 200 images from the previous week on the card.

This seems the same issue as https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/115-pentax-k-5/143493-photos-not-being-saved-card-fault.html. But that's a 3 year old post.

I have scanned the card using PandoraRecovery and Recuva, but only found 1400 old deleted images. This is different than the link above where most people affirm they have been able to recover the files. The card has been working well for years. After noticing the images were not available, I replaced the card to avoid any chance of overwriting due to a corrupted FAT table.

Worst part, photos were in Yosemite.

Any ideas?

thanks.

11-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Stupid, idiotic question, but worth asking nonetheless...
Did you by chance format the card in camera wanting to restore factory settings?
I've found the wording in the menu to be ambiguous.

It looks like a formatting to me, if you could see everyhting and then nothing at all...
The presence of the folder could be explained if it were the default one(s): DCIM and 100_xxxx (at least on a K-01, unsure aboutthe K7... are you sure the date matches?
11-30-2014, 11:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
After more work, the issue was solved with chkdsk /f to locate and restore lost clusters. So somehow the FAT table got corrupted when deleting the older photos to make room for this trip.

As that linked post writes, it most likely would have been better to format before the trip and not rely on deleting and 'safely remove hardware'.
12-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SoccerGeek Quote
After more work, the issue was solved with chkdsk /f to locate and restore lost clusters. So somehow the FAT table got corrupted when deleting the older photos to make room for this trip.

As that linked post writes, it most likely would have been better to format before the trip and not rely on deleting and 'safely remove hardware'.
Glad you sorted it!