Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ok, this is going to sound elitist, but the cruel truth is that the full potential of your camera for most subjects* is not accessible without some type of camera support. The difference is readily observable at moderate enlargement and moderate viewing distance. As for price, here are a few generalizations:

Inexpensive:
  • Often chintzy (poor materials, design, and construction)
  • Full extension is often not usable
  • Full extension is often not very tall
  • Often not very usable under field conditions
  • Load capacity is often grossly overstated
  • Short or non-existent warranty
  • Some units are standouts and run counter to conventional wisdom
By inexpensive, I mean $150 USD or less for the combination of tripod legs and head. That last bullet is important. It is possible to do well at the low end of the price spectrum, but I would draw a line somewhere around $85 USD, below which you are likely to not be happy with the purchase.

Expensive
  • Often grossly overpriced
  • Generally have exceptional warranty
  • Premium materials
  • Sound and/or elegant design
  • Quality construction
  • Smooth operation over years of steady use
  • No quibble replacement when/if the unit wears out
By expensive, I mean over $300 for either tripod legs or head.

Neither of the tripods I use were expensive and and both are up to my tasks. That being said, I would really like a Acratech head ($$$).

NOTE: There are some shots that you simply can't get from a tripod. Funny how that works sometimes.

Steve

* The exceptions would be genres such as sports, street, and documentary photography.

---------- Post added 11-30-14 at 04:36 PM ----------

...and their return policy is simply the best.

Steve
Absolutely correct, they are there to please.