Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Thoughts on this tripod setup!

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this setup for a K-3 and the DA* 300. Will take other suggestions to but this gives you a good idea on what I'm willing to spend.

Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod (263AB100) : Tripods - Future Shop
path=28095299e1bf6b1ce2906770959d5258en02

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554099-REG/Manfrotto_393_393_Heavy_Duty_Gimbal.html

11-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am going to defer to Panoguy. I have opinions on various legs - but they fall into the category of personal preferences. Pano has published some surveys and comparisons. I figure that he will be along sometime, shortly....They are not necessarily the make/model that you are looking at, but some of the major points are discussed. Also, there was another thread on this topic, where a very good list was made (see post #9). This whole entire thread covers a lot of ground on both legs and heads - a lot of good information.
11-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The Vanguard tripod is a good choice (though you can find it for $20 less at Henry's), however I'm not sure about that gimbal head. Manfrotto makes some great tripods, but in general their heads are not as smooth or as solid as many other, smaller manufacturers.

Aside from that, have you looked into "gimbal attachments" for the ball head that comes with the Vanguard tripod? This would be things like the Wimberley Sidekick (the original) or the Induro GHBA that rely on the tripod collar of the DA*300 (and other lenses) to align it over the ball head. Smaller package, lighter and easier to carry... just a suggestion!

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I am going to defer to Panoguy. I have opinions on various legs - but they fall into the category of personal preferences. Pano has published some surveys and comparisons. I figure that he will be along sometime, shortly....
Har har...
11-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Har har...
I really liked your reviews!! Also, I have many fewer opinions on legs than on heads. Anyway, I knew that you would be along - shortly....

11-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If your talking about the Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head, with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate I have that and for what I do it works very well. One thing to watch for is the top two adjustment screws. Only loosen them enough to make your adjustments and then keep them tight, even when storing it away. There is a small part inside the shaft that the adjustment screw pushes against to apply pressure to the plate ball shaft. If these screws are backed out too much the little part gets loose inside the housing and you can no longer tighten the ball head plate,. It takes a little shaking & patience to get the little part to fall back in place. I probably didn't explain this very well, just don't back out the adjustment screws too much. Don't ask me how I found this out......

Last edited by Wingincamera; 11-30-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: correction
11-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The DA 300 is not a heavy setup and I think you will like the sidekick gimbal suggestion made above.
You will have to get a ball head to slip it onto.
I don't know that tripod but there are many that will be serviceable.
Make sure the height will bring the camera to eye level as for telephoto work you will need that.
One that gets to that height without having to stretch out a column will be steadier.
11-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this exact tripod/head combo. Even when tightened down, it still shifts around. The boom is useful, but even more wiggly.
If you are hoping to do moon-shots with long lenses, be prepared to do the following: Adjust while using live-view, let go, check live-view, adjust again, repeat.

====Edit====

There was another thread about "What's wrong with a cheap tripod". This $200 light-stand is an example.

Last edited by AquaDome; 11-30-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added comment
12-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I had this set up before an it is ok but like AquaDome mentions it takes some adjusting/readjusting. The Manfrotto 055XPROB costs more but both the legs and center column are much sturdier IMO.