Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

condensation in nyc by winter, actual issue?

Hello there

Im heading to new york at the end of january, and i do wonder if i should get worried at all about condensation there, while going from outside walk into air conditionned stores and all..
should the plastic bag seal trick be necessary? for every lens i ll bring with me, mounted or not? I really wish i shouldn't have to bother with that..
The k 30 is wr, but i guess i will be mostly shouting with non wr 30 1.4 art and fa 50 1.7.

ty

olivier

11-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dont know specifically about NY, but condensation can be a real issue. Different temperature, different humidity.. for short visits a closed camera bag can be good enough. You can also just carry a small PVC bag and wrap the gear before you go indoors, let it adjust.
11-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zitounae Quote
The k 30 is wr, but i guess i will be mostly shouting with non wr 30 1.4 art and fa 50 1.7.
WR is not really a factor in this case. Air will still get in and if it is humid then you will have the possibility of condensation.

I was out shooting in the snow for several hours yesterday. Temperature about 24 F. When I came in the lens glass misted over immediately. I have a shelf over a heat vent that is nice and warm and that is where everything goes in such a situation until it is all warmed up.

Plastic bag will also work. What you do not want is your cold camera coming into contact with warm humid air.
11-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hello, thanks for visiting Pentax Forums!

The average high and low temperatures in NYC are (degrees C): January +2 / -5; February +4 / -4.

I agree with the comments from jatrax.

When I go outdoors to shoot in Ottawa at those temperatures, I definitely take winter-time precautions with my camera and all lenses. Before I enter a warm building, I usually seal the gear in individual plastic bags (in Canada, we have 'Ziploc' re-sealable bags, and other similar brands). I put the camera and its mounted lens in one, and the other lenses in other bags, and place all of the equipment in my camera bag. After entering the building, I wait 1-2 hours before unpacking the stuff.

- Craig

11-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Heated winter air tends to be low humidity. I've experienced some minor fogging but not so much that I worry about damage. The plastic bag trick has only been needed in abnormally humid buildings (gym with swimming pool, zoo rain forest, etc.). Put the camera into your camera bag before you come indoors. If you need to shoot indoors immediately after having the camera in the cold, expect a bit of fogging. Use a lens cloth to dry the front glass so you can continue shooting.

Don't panic over temporary condensation. To prevent long term damage, when you are all done for the day let the camera reach room temperature inside your bag in a dry room, then take it out and move the zoom and focus back and forth to remove humidity that might have made it into the camera.
11-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like some have mentioned, let the camera reach room temperature inside your bag in a dry room...
When I go out in especially cold weather (-15 to -25C), I put the body in a ziplock, with silicagel pouches (they came in new product, and I kept them) before I come inside, and I leave the gear in the camera bag for hours...
11-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I usually just leave the camera in the camera bag until it has slowly heated up. Sometimes I do the ziplock though especielly when I didn't bring a camera bag with me out.
11-30-2014, 06:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I did some astro work last night at -28 deg C, Took an extra parka along and wrapped the K-3 in it after taking the card out and before entering a warm house. Left it to warm up slowly overnight. No issues.

Jack

11-30-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I did some astro work last night at -28 deg C, Took an extra parka along and wrapped the K-3 in it after taking the card out and before entering a warm house. Left it to warm up slowly overnight. No issues.

Jack
And this is often the best clear night to do that !
12-01-2014, 01:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
Wow thanks a lot for all the fast and clear inputs there!
I ll start to gather silicagel pouches for my sling bag, didnt though about those.. And bring sealed bag just in case.. tho DeadJohn is rather comforting there