Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cleaning (or replacing) K1000 shutter

I'm ashamed. I did a stupid thing. I accidentally got some oil on the shutter fabric of my old K1000 (don't ask, it's too embarrassing to recount). Are those parts replaceable? If not, any tips for cleaning them? I looked on eBay and didn't see any replacement shutters. I realize I could buy a used K1000 for probably less than it would cost to get this fixed, but this particular one has sentimental value, so I'd like to fix it if at all possible. I'm pretty handy (current incident notwithstanding), but I do need a pointer in the right direction...

12-01-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know what you mean about sentimental value. I'm the same way with my very first K1000 that I got for Christmas back in 1980. It means a lot to me that I can still use the exact camera today that I've been using for so many years, and no replacement could ever be the same.

So personally I'd send the camera to a reliable expert to get the shutter cleaned. That way you'll know that the shutter timings are still accurate, and you can get a full CLA at the same time.

If you're determined to try a DIY fix, you could use a cotton swab and denatured alcohol or lighter fluid. You'll need steadier hands and a gentler touch than I've got. Remember that the shutter curtains in a K1000 are rubberised cloth, not metal, so you're working with delicate materials here. There's no guarantee that your shutter speeds will still be accurate afterwards.

Like I said: I'd rather trust an expert who knows exactly what he's doing, and who has the test rig needed to re-check the shutter speeds afterwards.
12-01-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
Banned

Contact Eric at this site: Pentaxs.com , I have no personal experience with him, but others on this forum speak very highly of him and his services.
12-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If you're determined to try a DIY fix, you could use a cotton swab and denatured alcohol or lighter fluid. You'll need steadier hands and a gentler touch than I've got. Remember that the shutter curtains in a K1000 are rubberised cloth, not metal, so you're working with delicate materials here. There's no guarantee that your shutter speeds will still be accurate afterwards.
Some rubber and alcohol don't mix. Neither do many petroleum based products. Much of it depends on the type of rubber used. That's one of the reason there are different types of O-ring lubricants. I remember when cleaning the pinch roller on tape recorders with denatured alcohol as specified it always took some of the rubber with it. That's part of the reason more alcohol were not used in automobile fuel - the hoses, seals and even coatings in internal combustion engines may resist gasoline some of them will react to alcohol. This is not so much a problem as automobile manufacturers use materials that have better resistance to alcohol. I would proceed with extreme caution. A small paint brush or foam swab would probably be a better option than a cotton swab - more give or cushion should you apply too much pressure.

A K1000 service manual can be found here:
Pentax Manuals

Removing or replacing the shutter curtains doesn't look like anything I would attempt. For one the manual mentions shutter oil and shutter grease to lubricate the parts. Where do you get that or what are appropriate substitutes?

If you are in the US consider sending the camera to Eric Hendrickson for Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment. If the shutter needs replacement you might have to supply a donor body. Eric Hendrickson. If cleaning the curtains of oil is a simple DIY he may even advise but a CLA by him will do your camera a lot of good, His website is linked below:
Home

12-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Some rubber and alcohol don't mix. Neither do many petroleum based products. Much of it depends on the type of rubber used. That's one of the reason there are different types of O-ring lubricants. I remember when cleaning the pinch roller on tape recorders with denatured alcohol as specified it always took some of the rubber with it. That's part of the reason more alcohol were not used in automobile fuel - the hoses, seals and even coatings in internal combustion engines may resist gasoline some of them will react to alcohol. This is not so much a problem as automobile manufacturers use materials that have better resistance to alcohol. I would proceed with extreme caution. A small paint brush or foam swab would probably be a better option than a cotton swab - more give or cushion should you apply too much pressure.

I completely agree with you. If it was a beaten up old K1000 of no sentimental value, it would probably worth giving a DIY fix a try, rather than paying out more than the camera's value for a professional repair. But since the OP specifies that the camera has sentimental value, I think it's a very risky idea. I'd at least want to do a test run on a worthless old junker first.
12-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
But since the OP specifies that the camera has sentimental value, I think it's a very risky idea. I'd at least want to do a test run on a worthless old junker first.
Sentimental value is priceless. Eric quotes $63.00 to repair K1000s not including parts and shipping. It might be well worth it for sentimental reasons.