Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live View does not save image

When I'm in Live View the picture never gets save to the card reader. I hit the playback button and there is no image am I doing something wrong ?

12-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hi,
I think we need more info, what camera? etc.....
12-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
i'm not sure i understand your question but live view is just a tool for composition (like the view finder) and with the magnification option a help for manual focusing but to take a picture you have to push the shutter release.
to start video recording you also have to press the shutter release.
12-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have the K5-IIs. I press the Live View button so then I'm in Live View. I compose and I either hit the shutter button or the AF button in the back. I then hit the Menu button to get out of Live View, but when I hit the Play-back button there is no picture. I even tried taking several pictures on an empty card still no picture ?

12-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I have the K5-IIs. I press the Live View button so then I'm in Live View. I compose and I either hit the shutter button or the AF button in the back. I then hit the Menu button to get out of Live View, but when I hit the Play-back button there is no picture. I even tried taking several pictures on an empty card still no picture ?
i don't know about the af button but the shutter button usually should do the trick, when you take a picture with the help of the view finder everything works fine or is there a problem too?
12-03-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just checked my live view settings. There are 3 AF methods Face detection, Contrast AF and Phase difference AF. The first 2 AF methods save the image to the card, but the last one (Phase Difference) does not ? Pictures taken with viewfinder work fine.

---------- Post added 12-03-14 at 03:31 AM ----------

OK I think I got it. During Live View if the AF Mode is set to Phase Difference, you sort of have to hold the shutter down until you see the little orange light, brighten up in the back of the camera. It's almost as if you are taking 2 pictures because you hear 2 clicks. The first click tells you that the autofocus kicked in the second click tells you the picture was taken . Kind of quirky but at least there is nothing wrong with the camera and I can get some sleep.
12-03-2014, 01:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/239453-liveview-phase-diff...autofocus.html

phase difference is described in the link above. maybe you didn't give the camera enough time to focus and take the picture (i guess it takes 4 steps: mirror down, af, mirror up, take picture). i have to admit i am just guessing here, i never expirienced this behavior and my camera is 200 km away so i can't check at the moment.

edit: i think the 2 clicks you hear are produced by the mirror (1 mirror down, second mirror up again)

12-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I just checked my live view settings. There are 3 AF methods Face detection, Contrast AF and Phase difference AF. The first 2 AF methods save the image to the card, but the last one (Phase Difference) does not ? Pictures taken with viewfinder work fine.

---------- Post added 12-03-14 at 03:31 AM ----------

OK I think I got it. During Live View if the AF Mode is set to Phase Difference, you sort of have to hold the shutter down until you see the little orange light, brighten up in the back of the camera. It's almost as if you are taking 2 pictures because you hear 2 clicks. The first click tells you that the autofocus kicked in the second click tells you the picture was taken . Kind of quirky but at least there is nothing wrong with the camera and I can get some sleep.
PDAF in live view would be weird, since the mirror has to go up for the camera to even focus. I'd recommend using contrast autofocus as it saves that extra step at the expense of a little bit of speed (but is likely still faster to focus overall).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

There are two AF mechanism in the camera, one is PDAF and the other one is CDAF. I thought in Liveview mode, the CDAF is used; PDAF is used when the viewfinder is used (with the mirror down), how can you choose PDAF in Liveview?
12-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
There are two AF mechanism in the camera, one is PDAF and the other one is CDAF. I thought in Liveview mode, the CDAF is used; PDAF is used when the viewfinder is used (with the mirror down), how can you choose PDAF in Liveview?
Under the Record Menu (has a camera for an icon), page 4, hit "Live View", then "Autofocus", the bottom option is PDAF mode (icon looks like the viewfinder focus points). It's awkward though, PDAF only functions with the mirror down, so it flips the mirror down to focus which breaks you out of Live View then flips it back up to resume Live View.

See page 147 of the k5iis manual.
12-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

at least there is nothing wrong with the camera and I can get some sleep.
Sleep is good...

Steve
12-03-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually this issue started when I was testing the Composition feature which also uses Live View. When that did not work or did not seem to work I went into Live View directly and noticed there were issues there too. The PDAF flips the mirror up which accounts for the first click, then it focuses and when you press the shutter all the way down, it finally takes the picture. I was getting out before pressing the shutter all the way down/