Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #1

Battery Grip batteries

My K-3 and battery grip arrived an hour ago. Not sure if I'm reading this right but my question is is it OK to use rechargeable AA batteries in the grip and then as I skim through the threads it looks like if I don't use a fully charge Lithium Ion camera battery in the grip the camera develops a floppy mirror syndrome....as if the electromagnets for the mirror actuator do not have enough juice to properly operate the mirror. Is this true?

If AA batteries are OK to use can you recommend which ones work the best?

Thank you?

12-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on your new camera! I love that new camera smell!

For the K-5 and K-5iis Eneloops have worked fine for me in the grips. Not sure if the K-3 is behaving differently. They do last a far shorter time than the regular battery. BTW, I recommend the Washabi batteries for the Pentax 90 because they last as long in my experience, are FAR less expensive, and come in a 2 pack with folding prong charger (much easier IMHO than the Pentax corded charger) thus giving you 3 batteries and 2 chargers for around $26 from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref=...bi+battery+K-5
12-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
I skim through the threads it looks like if I don't use a fully charge Lithium Ion camera battery in the grip the camera develops a floppy mirror syndrome....as if the electromagnets for the mirror actuator do not have enough juice to properly operate the mirror. Is this true?
No. The runaway mirror problem is not directly related to batteries or use of the grip.

Conventional wisdom is that Eneloops are the go-to battery for rechargeable AA with quality alkaline cells or single-use Li as the non-chargeable options.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-03-14 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
BTW, I recommend the Washabi batteries for the Pentax 90 because they last as long in my experience, are FAR less expensive
Yep..the price is competitive with a pack of Eneloops + charger.

Steve
12-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No. The runaway mirror problem is not directly related to batteries or use of the grip.

Conventional wisdom is that Eneloops are the go-to battery for rechargeable AA with quality alkaline cells or single-use Li as the non-chargeable options.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-03-14 at 12:42 PM ----------

Yep..the price is competitive with a pack of Eneloops + charger.

Steve
And I find them more convenient since you need 6 Eneloops for the tray (or has that changed for the K-3?).

12-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
OK...how about this? I'm going to buy another Pentax 90 battery. My other thought is to use the rechargeable AA batteries in my Pentax 540 flash. Are rechargeable OK for the flash also or is there another preferred battery type for the flash?
12-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And I find them more convenient since you need 6 Eneloops for the tray (or has that changed for the K-3?).
I don't remember. I had the grip for a couple of weeks before I sold it, but never tried the AA adapter. But wait! I just checked online and it does take six (6) AAs. That is a heavy load of batteries.

Steve
12-04-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BlakeShellman Quote
OK...how about this? I'm going to buy another Pentax 90 battery. My other thought is to use the rechargeable AA batteries in my Pentax 540 flash. Are rechargeable OK for the flash also or is there another preferred battery type for the flash?
Yes rechargeable batteries are fine with the Af 540fgz. If your going to use the grip you might consider changing your battery selection setting from auto to grip 1st. Once the battery depletes in the grip then it will switch to the full battery in the camera instead of drawing from both at the same time.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-04-2014 at 08:02 AM.
12-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Yes rechargeable batteries are fine with the Af 540fgz. If your going to use the grip you might consider changing your battery selection setting from auto to grip 1st. Once the battery depletes in the grip then it will switch to the full battery in the camera instead of drawing from both at the same time.
Plus its easier to access the grip battery in the field. Good point!
12-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If I am in an extreme situation (ie in the field) how many actuations can expect to get from 6 AA alkaline batteries in the grip of my K-5iis?. No Flash use.

---------- Post added 12-27-14 at 08:13 PM ----------

Also would the AA batteries in the grip work if the regular battery in the camera body was exhausted of a charge?
12-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
If I am in an extreme situation (ie in the field) how many actuations can expect to get from 6 AA alkaline batteries in the grip of my K-5iis?. No Flash use.

Also would the AA batteries in the grip work if the regular battery in the camera body was exhausted of a charge?

Never used AA's until they were run down, so I have no idea how long they may last. I did however use only AA's in the grip of the K3 while the L-ion battery charged when I first got it. I would think they'd work as the only power source in the K5's as well.
12-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote

With descent AAs off the shelf - perhaps a 100 or so as I recall, although its been 2-3 years. My recollection is that there must be an actual battery in the camera but its status is irrelevant to the operation of the batteries in the grip.
12-28-2014, 06:18 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I use Eneloops and have NEVER had a problem with the Battery Grip.

obin
12-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to use AA batteries in their grip for an extra 100-150 or so shots when they could pop another Li-90, or whatever the camera takes, in and be good for around 980 in addition to the cameras battery. if it's because of weight I find a heavier camera is easier for me to hold steadier.
12-28-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm still trying to figure out why someone would want to use AA batteries in their grip for an extra 100-150 or so shots when they could pop another Li-90, or whatever the camera takes, in and be good for around 980 in addition to the cameras battery. if it's because of weight I find a heavier camera is easier for me to hold steadier.
Because there are times when you RUN OUT of battery power but still need the camera. AAs allow you to pop into any convenience store on the planet (near enough) and be good to go for a little while longer. That can be long enough for your camera battery to gain sufficient charge.
12-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #15

Photos: Albums

Because AA batteries can be found everywhere in the world that reliable electrical power can not.

obin