Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wrong DateTimeOriginal Exif

Hi,
just noticed that while importing pictures from a recent trip abroad...

Timeline:
1. Bought K-01 in Japan, firmware v1.00
2. Set home town & time, set "away time" and everything correctly (I believe)
3. Took pictures
4. Came back home, switched clock to "home time"
5. After a day or so, updated to firmware v1.04 (don't need the functions of v1.05 and some peoples said it messed up AF... if ain't broke etc...)

Now the puzzling bit... all DateTimeOriginal from that trip are stuck to the same value, which is the value of the first picture I shoot with it (camera was used)...
Since CreateDate tags were all showing the correct information I just batch executed an ExifTool command and was set.

I don't know if the new firmware fixed the thing, or if it's gonna come back the next time I'm abroad... didn't find anything listed in the changelogs on the Ricoh website...
Anyone has run into this before? Any clues?

Last edited by LensBeginner; 12-03-2014 at 03:25 PM.
12-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people suggest that SD cards can adversely affect settings with sort of left over bits of code on the card. Format the suspicious card and remove it. Try using a different SD card, format it and set the date and time again. I don't know.
12-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Some people suggest that SD cards can adversely affect settings with sort of left over bits of code on the card. Format the suspicious card and remove it. Try using a different SD card, format it and set the date and time again. I don't know.
I've already solved that issue... was just wondering what could have caused it.
I had, IIRC, formatted the card in-camera before using it, and formatted again after getting back home.
Not a problem since then, don't know if it was the card (could have been, although it was brand new) or the firmware...
12-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've already solved that issue... was just wondering what could have caused it.
I had, IIRC, formatted the card in-camera before using it, and formatted again after getting back home.
Not a problem since then, don't know if it was the card (could have been, although it was brand new) or the firmware...
Your original post is very puzzling to me. I seriously doubt that "leftover" data is responsible. If such were present (all the same across multiple files?), the affected files would not be readable. I would place the cause with the camera at some level. Do you have an example file, as it came from the camera, available for download?

Steve

12-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your original post is very puzzling to me. I seriously doubt that "leftover" data is responsible. If such were present (all the same across multiple files?), the affected files would not be readable. I would place the cause with the camera at some level. Do you have an example file, as it came from the camera, available for download?

Steve
It's definitely not leftover data: all DateTimeOriginal were the date and time of the first picture with that card (and camera, after an extensive period in the shop - I bought used).
I don't have images with me, and edited the EXIF in the DNG files anyhow...
I suspect the issue must have been with the firmware, but if that's the case it has been solved with an upgrade.