Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 19
K-3, auto focus problem

I had been using the DA300 f4 with my new 1.4 converter, when focus stopped working in following modes, Av, TAv, Tv and Sv.
Focus still works in P, U1 set to Av exposure mode, U2 set to TAv exposure mode and U3 set to P exposure mode.
To trouble shoot, I re installed the latest software, with no change, reset Custom functions, tried other lenses, still no joy.
The camera is well within warranty, so I assume it has to go back. I regret to send it off right now, will miss it during the xmas season.
Any suggestions, or have others had the same problem.
thanks, Ladybug36

12-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
Does the focus work without the TC?

Does the focus work correctly with other lenses?

Can you try the lens with another body?

Does the focus work with the TC and a different lens?

I've no ideas for you but the above might help with troubleshooting.
12-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 19
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Does the focus work without the TC?

Does the focus work correctly with other lenses?

Can you try the lens with another body?

Does the focus work with the TC and a different lens?

I've no ideas for you but the above might help with troubleshooting.
no, don't work without the TC.
focus don't work with other lenses.
I don't have another body.
the focus don't work with the TC on other lenses.
but as I mentioned in the post, it works in P, U1, U2 and U3
sent the same inquiry to Pentax.
12-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member
crewl1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,797
Have not had this problem - does it focus in live view in other modes?
Are you having issues with SDM not working only or are the other lenses screw drive lenses and they also do not AF?

12-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 19
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Have not had this problem - does it focus in live view in other modes?
Are you having issues with SDM not working only or are the other lenses screw drive lenses and they also do not AF?
,

Does not focus in live view
12-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug36 Quote
focus don't work with other lenses.
What focus mode are you in? Should say on the LCD screen right above the number of image left on card indicator.

You might also check the AF/MF switch, and flip it back and forth a couple times. it is possible it got stuck part way between.
12-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,342
I have had intermittent focus with the 1.4 TC. In every case, it started working after cleaning both the TC and camera body contacts.
12-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 19
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
What focus mode are you in? Should say on the LCD screen right above the number of image left on card indicator.

You might also check the AF/MF switch, and flip it back and forth a couple times. it is possible it got stuck part way between.
tried AFA, AFC and AFS, no change, and since its a problem with other lenses the AF/MF switch only comes into play with the DA300.
Have cleaned the contacts, no change on the DA300 or with the 18-135mm lens I am using.

The latest, thought of using the AF button, and it now will focus in all modes, still nothing with the shutter button, at least I can use the camera, and won't send it for repair this year


Last edited by ladybug36; 12-03-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: using AF button
12-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver Island, BC
Posts: 19
Original Poster
Just to let You know, focus is now working with half way press, the Button Customization, AF Button, was set to AF2, when reset to AF1, it worked as designed.
thanks for the help, hope this will help others, that might have focus problems.
12-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,438
QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug36 Quote
Just to let You know, focus is now working with half way press, the Button Customization, AF Button, was set to AF2, when reset to AF1, it worked as designed.
thanks for the help, hope this will help others, that might have focus problems.
Well, that would do it!

Thanks for closing the loop!


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, av, exposure, focus, focus *only, mode, tav
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catch in Focus K-3 problem TCerbo Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 12-18-2014 02:28 PM
Focus problem with the K-3 lezama Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 12-12-2014 11:59 PM
K-3 auto focus problem DAKS Pentax K-3 23 11-11-2014 03:03 AM
Tamron 70-200 auto focus faster with k-3 or k-5 IIs ? skid2964 Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 01-25-2014 12:27 AM
K-3 vs E-M1 auto focus lijimmy80 Pentax K-3 4 11-13-2013 03:13 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top