Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Calibration Question

I bought a Lens Align to check and adjust focus for my lenses. The first three I checked were all significantly back-focusing (+10, would've gone to 11 if allowed I think, +9 for second, +7 on the third). I'll check a few more this weekend, but if I continue to see a back focus issue, would this indicate a need to calibrate the camera rather than lenses? Is it possible the sensor is off a fraction from the plane it should be on, or do I need to send the really off lenses somewhere to be calibrated?

12-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You do not say which camera but from what I have read a camera that has back/front focus issues with multiple lenses that are close to the limit (+/-10) are in need of a factory calibration. Fine focus adjustment is great for small adjustments or for a lens that is off a bit. But if all are off about the same then I would send it in to Ricoh to get calibrated.
12-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What camera are you using? For instance the K-5 got problems to focus on the correct plane under tinted light. So if you calibrate under tungsten light you might get worst focus in daylight and vv.
12-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I was also going to say that make sure you do your calibration in daylight.

12-03-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera is K-5IIs. I'll verify calibration this weekend on the three I've done, and a few more. If they are all significantly back-focusing, I'll contact Ricoh. Thanks for the response.
12-04-2014, 06:04 AM   #6

Back/front focus is an annoying issue
12-09-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I do that with a SpyderLenscal but it's the same procedure: You have to be sure you do it with maximal aperture (lowest value) und full (highest) focal length on zoom lenses.
Then, be sure camera and pattern is on same height and that pattern (Lenscal) is parallel to your camera (sensor).

Then try again like this and tell us your results.