Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, by definition, though it is not validation as much as convention for measurement.

What I find funny is that people don't complain that the FOV of their external focus primes becomes narrower with close focus.

Steve
But they do complain about loss of aperture . With the reduction in focal length at close focus at least you do not give up aperture

12-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, by definition, though it is not validation as much as convention for measurement.

What I find funny is that people don't complain that the FOV of their external focus primes becomes narrower with close focus.

Steve
If I'm going near an object then it stands to reason that I want it bigger in the picture... so narrower FoV is appreciated...
At those distance just one single step behind has a huge effect on the reproduction size, so no issues there.
12-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If I'm going near an object then it stands to reason that I want it bigger in the picture... so narrower FoV is appreciated...
Not only appreciated, but expected! It is counter-intuitive to not have the FOV reduced despite our own eyes not working that way. I have to admit to feeling a little cheated when I discovered that "feature" on my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C). I bought it for the extra reach and really wanted a FOV equivalent to 70mm at portrait distances.

Steve