Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
What'chu lookin at

Photos: Gallery
K-50 exposure settings oddities

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has had this issue and if there is a solution.

Recently, the weather has gotten colder, and I've started to use my K-50 outdoors a bit. Not a lot, otherwise I myself get too cold, but I've noticed some oddities since. What is happening is that my settings will change; if I'm using TAv, the ISO will suddenly switch to something else, along with the aperture and shutter speed. Attempting to change the shutter speed and aperture via the e-dials is fruitless, the only thing that seems to get it 'unstuck' is either switching the mode dial or turning the camera off and on.

At first I thought it was just it reacting to the cold air temperatures, but then it started to exhibit this behaviour inside. The first time I took it outside, the temps were about -5C, and the second time that I definitely knew something was up, the temps were about -10C.

I charged the battery fully after noticing this, but the settings still reset themselves to something else. I don't know what else I can do. I updated my firmware last night but I'm still noticing this phenomenon.

12-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sadly I think your camera has developed the same kind of issue /edit/ one or two /end edit/ others have reported - my symptoms were a little different, but eventually mine required service.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-06-2014 at 12:53 AM.
12-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dngr Quote
if I'm using TAv, the ISO will suddenly switch to something else, along with the aperture and shutter speed. Attempting to change the shutter speed and aperture via the e-dials is fruitless, the only thing that seems to get it 'unstuck' is either switching the mode dial or turning the camera off and on.
Is your camera still on warranty? If so, I would suggest contacting Ricoh/Pentax for service. What you are describing is not normal.

QuoteOriginally posted by bradshea Quote
Sadly I think your camera has developed the same kind of issue others have reported - my symptoms were a little different, but eventually mine required service.
I have not seen any of these similar reported problems. I remember your camera problem from a couple months back (general electronic failure after 3 months ownership), but yours was unique at the time. This new report might be something similar, but I would not consider either to be indication of a trend.

Is it safe to assume you got your camera back from Precision and that it is working again? Did they tell you what the problem was and what they did to fix it?

Steve
12-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
Damn. That's definitely not what I wanted to hear, but I had a feeling that would be the only fix. Thanks

---------- Post added 12-05-14 at 14:45 ----------

Yeah, I've started looking at what I can do.

12-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Out of curiosity, how cold is it? The camera should normally work fine down to -10C.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Out of curiosity, how cold is it? The camera should normally work fine down to -10C.
I've used it in -10C, and perhaps lower, but it is still exhibiting the same phenomenon in a room at about 20C
12-05-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I've used it in -10C, and perhaps lower, but it is still exhibiting the same phenomenon in a room at about 20C
Of course we have to ask all the questions

Original Li battery?

Steve
12-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #8
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Of course we have to ask all the questions

Original Li battery?

Steve
Yes, only a year old though. Please, keep asking the questions, I may have missed something myself

12-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is your camera still on warranty? If so, I would suggest contacting Ricoh/Pentax for service. What you are describing is not normal.

I have not seen any of these similar reported problems. I remember your camera problem from a couple months back (general electronic failure after 3 months ownership), but yours was unique at the time. This new report might be something similar, but I would not consider either to be indication of a trend.

Is it safe to assume you got your camera back from Precision and that it is working again? Did they tell you what the problem was and what they did to fix it?

Steve
Steve mine wasn't unique but I'll have to dig to find the info it might not be here. Only a handful of reports that I know of, not a major trend in any case.

Precision... Wasn't very precise, the description was pretty generic, including updated firmware, but I had already done that and downgraded and repeated the upgrade... Calibrate shutter maybe? I'll see if I can find the paperwork. Oh, and I think I remember a k30 user having similar issues. Not intending to leave people thinking this is common.

So far mine has worked great since they fixed it.
02-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
So, a quick update. The camera has not exhibited these symptoms since shortly after my last post in this thread.

Oh well, all I can do is hope whatever little gremlin this was doesn't come back

Last edited by dngr; 02-09-2015 at 10:02 AM.
02-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So, a quick update. The camera has not exhibited these symptoms since shortly after my last post in this thread.

Oh well, all I can do is hope whatever little gremlin this was comes back
I was going to suggest that before you send the camera in for repair, try checking every point where there is a possibility of a bad connection due to dirt, condensation, or other contamination.

eg. SD card, battery, and especially, the lens contacts. I've had weird exposure setting behaviour a few times, and it always ended up being due to the lens not making solid contact on the mount.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem, but it's worth checking before sending the camera in.
02-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I was going to suggest that before you send the camera in for repair, try checking every point where there is a possibility of a bad connection due to dirt, condensation, or other contamination.

eg. SD card, battery, and especially, the lens contacts. I've had weird exposure setting behaviour a few times, and it always ended up being due to the lens not making solid contact on the mount.

I'm not saying this is the cause of your problem, but it's worth checking before sending the camera in.
I never did send it in, but thinking back, it could very well have been the lens contacts as I was using that lens for the Single In December challenge and so of course the lens never left the camera
02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I never did send it in, but thinking back, it could very well have been the lens contacts as I was using that lens for the Single In December challenge and so of course the lens never left the camera
If it ever happens again, try re-seating the lens. If the problem disappears, you may want to clean the contacts.
02-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #14
Forum Member

I think I can rule out the cold temperatures as a possible issue. I have taken photos at a recnt ice sculpture display, where at the time, temperatures up in here in Saskatchewan Canada were around -33 Celsius (that's -27 F) and have no issues. Other imilar days have had no issue in similar temps.
I am very cautious of condensation. When I bring my gear indoors, I will not touch for at least 2 or 3 hours, or even longer.

Nice to hear that things are okay now. I wish you luck in the future.
02-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
What'chu lookin at

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schick Quote
I think I can rule out the cold temperatures as a possible issue. I have taken photos at a recnt ice sculpture display, where at the time, temperatures up in here in Saskatchewan Canada were around -33 Celsius (that's -27 F) and have no issues. Other imilar days have had no issue in similar temps.
I am very cautious of condensation. When I bring my gear indoors, I will not touch for at least 2 or 3 hours, or even longer.

Nice to hear that things are okay now. I wish you luck in the future.
Right on, thanks for sharing your experience!