Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash sync problem!

Hi i've been having problems lately with my wireless flash trigger, i have the Comtrig T320-TX.
The problem is that whenever i take a shot the flash does trigger, but only after i've taked the shot.
(It triggers after the shutter has closed)
Is there any thing i can do to fix this sync problem? or should the trigger go in the trash.
When i put my flash on the camera the sync is accurate but when on the wireless trigger it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

12-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not familiar with the Comtrig brand, but some radio triggers are slow to relay their signals. It would have to be slow indeed to completely miss the flash entirely. The classic symptom of a slow trigger is a black bar at one edge of the frame when shooting at or near max sync speed, (1/180th in the case of most Pentax cameras). Try slowing your shutter speed down to maybe 1/90th and see if you can capture anything. If you are getting black bars at 1/90th, it's probably time to get a new trigger system.
12-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
When i shoot at eg. 3sec shutterspeed than the flash triggers after the camera has taken the shot, when i shoot at 1/50 the flash triggers after I've taken the shot. it's really weird. But if there is any solution please help!
12-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After reading a review of the Comtrig 320, they seem to be pretty fast, so sync speed should not affect the results. Double check the following things:

• Make sure you have the unit marked TX on your camera, and the RX unit attached to the flash.
  • Make sure both units are set to the same channel
  • In you camera's flash menu, make sure you have it set to first-curtain sync.
  • If you flash has an option, make sure it is set to first-curtain sync.

12-08-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In addition to maxfield's excellent suggestions, make sure you have fresh batteries in the triggers.
12-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Do you perhaps have your camera set for trailing flash sync? This is a setting that causes the camera to trigger the flash just before the shutter closes.

Combine this with a trigger that is a little slow to fire the off-camera flashes and you could get exactly the symptoms you describe.

You didn't say which camera you have, so I can't help you in finding the menu setting to change from trailing to leading flash.