Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Instant view of picture to a monitor

Hi guys, here is a noob question. I am trying to setup a small studio and i would like to review the picture i took after a shot. Can I just hook a cable from connecting the pentax K3 to the monitor and press play button to review it on the monitor [ HDMI cable compatible]? IF that's do able, where can i get the cable with sufficient length [6 meters?] to move freely to take pics? Thanks in advance for your time and replies!

12-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 does have HDMI output. The fitting is micro-HDMI. The cable is not proprietary, though a high-speed specification is probably a good idea. What displays on the monitor is the same as what displays on the rear LCD. I think 6' is available. Mine is 3'.

Steve
12-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The K-3 does have HDMI output. The fitting is micro-HDMI. The cable is not proprietary, though a high-speed specification is probably a good idea. What displays on the monitor is the same as what displays on the rear LCD. I think 6' is available. Mine is 3'.

Steve
Hi steve... yeah i did a bit more research... i think i might need to get a mini HDMI to type A HDMI converter and purchase another 10 feet long HDMI cable to connect the DSLR to the monitor. Have you use this system before? I wonder how it works? Press play button after a shot and it will display in the monitor instead on the DSLR screen?
12-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by choong_dc Quote
Hi guys, here is a noob question. I am trying to setup a small studio and i would like to review the picture i took after a shot. Can I just hook a cable from connecting the pentax K3 to the monitor and press play button to review it on the monitor [ HDMI cable compatible]? IF that's do able, where can i get the cable with sufficient length [6 meters?] to move freely to take pics? Thanks in advance for your time and replies!
Hi, I want to do exactly the same thing as you. I have a K-7 and a K-5IIs, please post you solution so I can apply it my self.

12-06-2014, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wonder how it works? Press play button after a shot and it will display in the monitor instead on the DSLR screen?
The instructions are in the user manual. When connected, the rear LCD is blank and the monitor displays what would normally be on the rear LCD.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 12:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ma-ledezma Quote
Hi, I want to do exactly the same thing as you. I have a K-7 and a K-5IIs, please post you solution so I can apply it my self.
Your user manual is your friend. The fitting for both the K-7 and K-5 IIs is Type-C (mini) HDMI.

Steve

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 12:02 PM ----------

i think i might need to get a mini HDMI
Micro (Type D), not mini. Pentax moved to the smaller connector for the K-3. This is in the owner's manual which can be downloaded for free from:

http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/support/download-details/1019

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-06-2014 at 01:04 PM.
12-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Ok i order the micro HDMI to HDMI cord... will post some pics when it arrives while shooting randomly... thanks steve...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009W9V2N4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12-06-2014, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Keep in mind that the resolution of the image on the HDMI connected monitor will be the same as the back LCD (640x480 for K-5, 720x480 for K-3), which is not great. Even if your monitor is HD res or greater, as you zoom in (on the camera) and get to 100% zoom (1:1 pixel to pixel) on the back LCD, you're still just seeing big pixels on the monitor.

FYI: for those that are wondering "how does my 921k dot rear LCD only have 640x480 resolution?" Well, a "dot" in camera marketing is either red, green, or blue, and all three are needed to make a single (colored) image pixel. So 921,600 / 3 = 307,200 RGB pixels, which is the sum of 640 x 480. Gotta love marketing math!

Last edited by panoguy; 12-06-2014 at 02:46 PM.
12-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Keep in mind that the resolution of the image on the HDMI connected monitor will be the same as the back LCD (640x480 for K-5, 720x480 for K-3), which is not great. Even if your monitor is HD res or greater, as you zoom in (on the camera) and get to 100% zoom (1:1 pixel to pixel) on the back LCD, you're still just seeing big pixels on the monitor.
This an interesting statement. Are you saying that the display is upsampled for output? My TV says it is receiving 1080i signal.

Steve
12-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by ma-ledezma Quote Hi, I want to do exactly the same thing as you. I have a K-7 and a K-5IIs, please post you solution so I can apply it my self. Your user manual is your friend. The fitting for both the K-7 and K-5 IIs is Type-C (mini) HDMI. Steve
Thanks Steve I have the manuals for both cameras.