Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Firmware up dates won't work - Help!

Okay I just don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong -- there is an update for my K-3 (Downloads & Literature - RICOH Imaging) to 1.03 I've got a 64gb card,,,,,now I have tried this two ways :

1. Reformat my card on my MacBook Pro -- giving it a clean slate
2. I download the update to the desktop and extract it
3. take the extracted file and move it to the SD card in the card slot
4. place it into my K3
5. Right away it states card is not formated
6. I hit the menu button and then look for the firmware menu and click on the right arrow -- NOTHING -- zip -- nadda

Other attemps

1. format the card in my k3
2. download the update
3. extract the update and place it onto the card
then I follow the same steps as above -

1. I've downloaded the firmware directly to the SD card -- while it was formatted bot for the camera and for the Mac

Is there somedoy that can guide me thru the EXACT steps needed to get my poor camera up and running on the new firmware?

I know that I managed to get it done once before both on my K3 and my K50 and now its just not working no matter what I'm doing -- I know its me - but at what step, I'm just not sure,,,,, frustrated and embarrassed here

Thanks everybody!!!

12-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Format the card IN THE CAMERA
Make sure the extracted file is in the root directory of your card

If this does not work try another card
12-06-2014, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you've formatted the card in the camera, it should just be a case of dragging the firmware file into the highest level directory on the card (ie not in the dcim folder, but next to it). Insert the card into the camera, and hold the menu button when you switch it on.
12-06-2014, 05:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's our text guide and a video, which includes an FAQ at the end:
Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.11 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
Got it!!

Yay! I was doing it right -- BUT ,,,I didn't hold down the menu button!!! GRRRR!!! I've been at this formatting and RE-formatting downloading and RE-Downloading for over an HOUR now, and how I missed that one little blip is probably the KEY for me to give up for the night until I learn how to grasp reading comprehension! LOL "hold down the menu" -- sheesh - I could have saved myself a lot of time!

THANK YOU kind Pentax Forum folks!! I really do appreciate it!!!

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GAjeeperGirl Quote
Yay! I was doing it right -- BUT ,,,I didn't hold down the menu button!!! GRRRR!!! I've been at this formatting and RE-formatting downloading and RE-Downloading for over an HOUR now, and how I missed that one little blip is probably the KEY for me to give up for the night until I learn how to grasp reading comprehension! LOL "hold down the menu" -- sheesh - I could have saved myself a lot of time!

AND i even remembered to RE-format once it was done!!! I'm on a roll! LOL
12-06-2014, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:23 PM ----------

AND i even remembered to RE-format once it was done!!! I'm on a roll! LOL

At the risk of breaking your bubble, the latest firmware is in fact v1.11. Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Looks like you'll have to do it all over again... sorry!
12-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
At the risk of breaking your bubble, the latest firmware is in fact v1.11. Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Looks like you'll have to do it all over again... sorry!
Yay more practice !!!!

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:57 PM ----------

Yay more practice !!!!
DONE!!! Thanks for the heads up on that one!

12-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Firmware frustrations

Yay more practice !!!!

---------- Post added 12-06-14 at 08:57 PM ----------

DONE!!! Thanks for the heads up on that one!
I am really impressed by your willingness to ask for help and your willingness to look at the repeat procedure as a chance to practice rather than an irritation. Good luck with your camera!
12-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yay! I was doing it right -- BUT ,,,I didn't hold down the menu button!!! GRRRR!!! I've been at this formatting and RE-formatting downloading and RE-Downloading for over an HOUR now, and how I missed that one little blip is probably the KEY for me to give up for the night until I learn how to grasp reading comprehension! LOL "hold down the menu" -- sheesh - I could have saved myself a lot of time!.....
The devil is is always in the details.
Glad to hear it's resolved.