Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 05:44 AM   #16
Inactive Account

RE: Nakedgun

I dealt with Denver when I was repairing my ist DS. They don't have parts list at the warehouse. They can only look up or order a part if they have a number. Which in their wisdom, you have to supply.
I finally managed to contact a rep here on the board. He was able to get me the part number.

Now I've been told by them, that private sales of parts is no longer done.
I personally have started buying backup gear, to avoid a fight with the company drones.

12-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Update

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
If that domain has been dead for two years, you'd think that >customer service< would strive to insure that their website and emails to customers contained valid information.
That's just basic 'doing business'. I appreciate the fact that this is a wonderful forum and everyone is helpful with all the information and always step in to help each other out. This site is a major reason I continue to use Pentax products.

But seriously, how much is it to ask that such a major company does a review of the websites and form emails/messages to customers for appropriate information?
It's the kind of neglect you expect from a donut shop where 99.9% their customers are walk-in off-the-street folks who don't use technology.... technology like digital cameras and the like.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just amazing that a major company like this doesn't correct their online experience.
It's like kicking your customers in the shins and expecting they'll remain loyal.
I can't help but agree. I am not a dyed-in-the-wool Pentaxian. I use all brands of camera. So far my experience has been:

Canon : only needed to send one item in, a lens that was under warranty, and they fixed it even though I dropped the lens (about 1 foot onto my driveway actually) no charge.

Serveral Canon P&S developed an issue where they think the battery is dead, lost several cameras that way including my beloved SD20. I took a stunning nude of my wife with that little camera and it has a special place in my heart.

Had an EOS Elan 7NE (film camera) that just went crazy. Fixed under warranty.

Nikon : Tried to have a SB-600 repaired by their affiliate "United Camera" and they changed the flash tube for an issue that had nothing to do with the flash tube. Utter morons. Sent it into Nikon proper and it was repaired. Not a warranty issue.

Sent in my D600 for shutter replacement. All went well, no issues.

Fujifilm : I thought I had an issue so I actually called (and I never call, preferring email) their tech support line. I spoke with a gentleman who seemed only vaguely familiar with some aspects of the camera, sighed before answering every question, and told me at the end to send it in for repair. I don't have an issue with what he determined was the issue, because he didn't have his facts straight.

Had a Fujifilm S2, sensor just up and died. Too expensive to fix, threw it away.

Sony : never used them for any support. I hear they suck, so maybe I'm lucky.

Olympus : their m4/3 cameras have a VERY touchy hotshoe. Fried it on my OM-D but was repaired by them under warranty, no charge.

Pentax : 17-70mm lens sent in for failing after a minor drop, 6" or so, onto a carpeted floor. Not sure if warranty or not but Precision Camera fixed it.

When I bought my first Pentax Q, the dial wouldn't change shutter or aperture settings, but the camera store simply exchanged it for a working one.

I did hear back after leaving a message with their tech support about the grip cap. They know I need one. They have none and no clue when they will get more, but i will get it when they have them in.
12-09-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Anyone have a clue how to actually get a part from Ricoh/Pentax?
Yes...you ask an authorized Pentax dealer/repair to order it for you. That does not have to be the warranty repair facility, the two are not the same thing. If I need a part, I can ask my local camera repair (Knight Camera in Vancouver) to order it for me.

Steve
12-09-2014, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes...you ask an authorized Pentax dealer/repair to order it for you. That does not have to be the warranty repair facility, the two are not the same thing. If I need a part, I can ask my local camera repair (Knight Camera in Vancouver) to order it for me.

Steve
In many cities finding one of those mythical beasts is an issue. In St. Louis Pentax recently (apparently) dropped the nine-store Dealer chain. Dropped. B&M. Dealer. Chain.

12-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
In many cities finding one of those mythical beasts is an issue. In St. Louis Pentax recently (apparently) dropped the nine-store Dealer chain. Dropped. B&M. Dealer. Chain.

I am so lucky here to have a Pentax authorized dealer and several authorized camera repair shops within 30 miles radius.

Steve
12-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I posted a note on the official Ricoh forum: Re: Customer service - RIAC Community

And today received a message requesting I pass on an email to the OP. If the OP is still monitoring this thread it would be good if you contacted them at the email listed and then let us know what the final resolution was.

Apparently they do not monitor PF much which I can understand, it would be a full time job just to spot check all the posts. I think it would be good if they opened a sub-forum like the B&H one here to allow for better communication, but then considering the abuse they would likely get, maybe not such a good idea.
12-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I have found that MANY businesses do not even respond to email (or you get an automated response) which is frustrating. I quit trying that route years ago and use the toll free numbers provided. When I called Ricoh/Pentax, I not only got a live person immediately (no wait) they were super responsive, and helpful! I think the trick is in having the correct number for your type of call.

12-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I posted a note on the official Ricoh forum: Re: Customer service - RIAC Community

And today received a message requesting I pass on an email to the OP. If the OP is still monitoring this thread it would be good if you contacted them at the email listed and then let us know what the final resolution was.

Apparently they do not monitor PF much which I can understand, it would be a full time job just to spot check all the posts. I think it would be good if they opened a sub-forum like the B&H one here to allow for better communication, but then considering the abuse they would likely get, maybe not such a good idea.
I did send an email to the rep, she responded asking for details, as she is just the web/social media person. I did reply with what I knew, that nobody has the part but I would get one eventually. She did not reply, but Pentax (somebody, not sure who or why) called my house Friday but did not leave any message.
12-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is indeed a shame that these bottom caps are not available to Pentax users! They certainly would be easy enough to disappear.
12-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the postman cometh. I was surprised and pleased to take delivery of a replacement K-3 grip port cap yesterday. Thanks to all who suggested ways to get ahold of someone at Ricoh - not sure which of them paid off but one of them did.

Nothing else in the envelope but a card reading "Compliments of Ricoh"
12-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how many days from your first email to Ricoh until delivery?
12-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
So how many days from your first email to Ricoh until delivery?
November 16 was the original email, so about 29 days. Of course, I don't know if yesterday's delivery was based on the original request or the subsequent request 2 weeks after the first. You can't reply to the email they send you, so the only way to contact them a second time was via the webform and/or a phone call.
12-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Why on earth are those caps not madd available? It's been this way for as long as I can remember.
12-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Well, the postman cometh. I was surprised and pleased to take delivery of a replacement K-3 grip port cap yesterday. Thanks to all who suggested ways to get ahold of someone at Ricoh - not sure which of them paid off but one of them did.

Nothing else in the envelope but a card reading "Compliments of Ricoh"

Great news! Now, if the caps were more readily available for Pentax owners, it would be even better!
12-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always wish they could be made available as I've lost some. I never really thought about trying to replace them, but maybe I would.

I did find my recent dealings with Ricoh/Pentax on the phone to be better than most companies I've had to deal with. Minimal hold time and a real person that understood what I was asking about. Of course, I wasn't asking for the cap or any part, but it is nice that one can call and talk to someone.