Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Final sharpening or Mode last stage

I've started working in ACR using ProPhoto and 16-bit, then opening in PS.

The printer I'm using accepts Adobe 1998 and 8-bit files. So in PS I convert the profile to 1998 and then proof the image using their supplied profile.

When the image is ready to do the final sharpening (I've done an input sharpening in ACR) is it better that the final sharpening is done before the 16-bit to 8-bit conversion or after ?

Any advice, please.

Thanks

12-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting question, and one I would like to see answers for as well. My work flow is similar, I stay in ProPhoto and 16bit as long as possible then go to 8 bit when I have to. However, I start in Lightroom and generally print from there as well so unless I use something that requires 8bit (filter gallery maybe) I stay in 16 bit, go back to Lightroom for final sharpening and printing. I'm not sure which way would be better, both programs offer advantages and disadvantages.

To answer your question, I would do final sharpening after conversion as final sharpening is well, final. But I would be interested in other opinions.
12-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
But you would do *all* processing while your file is still 16 bit and only change to 8 bit for output, right?

For instance, sharpening is increasing micro contrast and creates artifacts when there's not much data to play with.
12-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've started working in ACR using ProPhoto and 16-bit, then opening in PS.

The printer I'm using accepts Adobe 1998 and 8-bit files. So in PS I convert the profile to 1998 and then proof the image using their supplied profile.

When the image is ready to do the final sharpening (I've done an input sharpening in ACR) is it better that the final sharpening is done before the 16-bit to 8-bit conversion or after ?

Any advice, please.

Thanks
Doing it before conversation is better because it done more accurately (on 16 bit) and then rounded. So you didn't sharpend the rounding noise. But I doubt you can notice the difference.

12-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess sharpening on 16 bit was my gut feeling, but the reduction to 8-bit, I felt, may need a little sharpening adjustment, thus the question to correct the rounding down.
Looks like the conversion will now be the last step, for now ...unless someone comes in with a curve ball/googlie ...

Thanks for the advice