Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

Super ME issue

I recently purchased a fully functional Super ME, including accurate metering. I made the foolish mistake of mounting (and unmounting with some difficulty) a cheap M42 to K adapter. Now when I mount a K lens it appears to only meter at the smallest aperture (i.e F16 or 22, depending on the lens). I suspect there is something small that was disturbed in the mount. Anyone have some insights on whether this is an easily fixed problem. it kind of makes an otherwise fully functional camera useless...

Last edited by jamin-b; 12-09-2014 at 02:35 AM.
12-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is that pin OK ?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #3

How did you get the mirror to stay up like that?
12-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(that MEsuper in the picture above isn't working any more - shutter blocked, mirror up, but I have good hopes of repairing it soon).
I suppose that the lever that is shown by the red arrow controls the aperture of the lens because it fits to another lever on the lens. At least metering wide open happens this way.

12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
is that pin OK ?
That would be one possible source of the problem. , but not one traceable to the adapter. It is possible that the brand-X adapter has bent or jammed the aperture follower tab that is recessed at the top part of the mount. Edit: While damage such as I noted in the struck out text might be possible, it would affect the metered shutter speed on the ME Super, not aperture. End edit.

For the OP...Describe more fully what you mean by only metering at smallest aperture.
Lens always stopped down?
- or -
Lens meters wide open, but always stops down fully regardless of the amount of light aperture ring setting?
BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-09-2014 at 09:32 AM.
12-09-2014, 09:15 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@jamin-b , K-mount lenses that work with the Pentax ME super must have an aperture ring on the lens. Modern lenses like the DFA-100mm Macro WR will stay at the smallest aperture. You probably knew that, I just wanted to make sure there's no misunderstanding.
12-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The previous photo points out the aperture arm. I think the problem is the tab that I've pointed to here:

It's an ME but they are the same for this purpose. The tab sticks into the curved slot in the lens mount. When the aperture ring on the lens moves, the camera uses this tab to follow its position. That tab connects to a variable resistor in the meter circuit, just like the light sensor or ASA and compensation dials. Aperture rings on M42 lenses won't be connected to this tab so the camera can't read the position of the ring. The M42 adapter is designed to move that tab from 2 o'clock where it is in the photo, to about 4 o'clock, which effectively removes that aperture follower component from the metering circuit. A bad adapter or aggressive removal technique probably got the tab stuck at 2 o'clock.

12-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
A bad adapter or aggressive removal technique probably got the tab stuck at 2 o'clock.
I had not considered that possibility. If the tab is stuck, mounting the lens would result in the aperture ring rotating to its narrowest setting. Good catch.

I have had brand-X adapters over-rotate resulting in the tab being jammed the other way at 4 o'clock and can imagine the situation you describe as well. The picture in my mind for that case looks a little grim.

Steve
12-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That would be one possible source of the problem. , but not one traceable to the adapter. It is possible that the brand-X adapter has bent or jammed the aperture follower tab that is recessed at the top part of the mount. Edit: While damage such as I noted in the struck out text might be possible, it would affect the metered shutter speed on the ME Super, not aperture. End edit.

For the OP...Describe more fully what you mean by only metering at smallest aperture.
Lens always stopped down?
- or -
Lens meters wide open, but always stops down fully regardless of the amount of light aperture ring setting?
BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
First - thanks all for your willingness to help... what I meant is that moving the aperture ring on the mounted lens does not cause a corresponding adjustment in the meter read out, and as far as I can tell the meter reading is right for the smallest aperture. I thought it might be an issue with the lens, which has led me into another more aggravating problem. i mounted a different lens (pentax-m 50mm 1.7) which showed the the same problem on the Super ME and then got stuck on the camera. When I did manage to get it off it seems to have knocked something off in the lens, so that know the lens aperture on that lens does not change the actual aperture (and in fact the aperture ring can now be rotated past the smallest and largest apertures, for a 360 degree turn...UGH!!!! The aperture can with a fine screwdriver be pushed closed or open by pushing the small tab on the ring on the "camera side" of the lens, opposite the lever that allows for wide open metering, but control of the aperture has become disconnected from the aperture ring. So the Super ME now has become a lens killer as well....
12-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jamin-b Quote
So the Super ME now has become a lens killer as well....
Proceed with caution from this point on. Do not mount any more lenses to that camera until this is resolved. Something is munged. I think Dave (comment #7 above) has it right. Your lens mount should look like the one in his photo with everything nice and straight. I suspect that the lever (big red arrow at right side at 2 o'clock) is badly damaged and it no longer meshing properly with the lens on mount.

Steve
12-10-2014, 02:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Proceed with caution from this point on. Do not mount any more lenses to that camera until this is resolved. Something is munged. I think Dave (comment #7 above) has it right. Your lens mount should look like the one in his photo with everything nice and straight. I suspect that the lever (big red arrow at right side at 2 o'clock) is badly damaged and it no longer meshing properly with the lens on mount.

Steve
Thanks, I will certainly put the camera on the side. i am trying to figure out how to deal with the affected lens. I thought it might be an easy fix, but trying to remove the back collar I could only get 4 of 5 scres loose. And then I decided to call it a night before engaging in any more destructive behavior....