Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Shake Reduction icon turning off during shaking

Hello, I am a beginner and using the K-50 in automatic mode. I have the Shake Reduction mode turned on. When I look through the viewfinder, click halfway on the shutter, and then shake the camera a bit I see the SR icon going off in the view finder. If I stop shaking, or shake it instead much more gently than before, the icon comes back on. Is it normal that the icon is going off with more than a very very gentle shake?

In addition, I cannot hear anything different when the camera has SR turned on versus off when I shake, when using the K-50 with the viewfinder. In contrast, if I use the camera in Live Mode with the LCD monitor/screen, and I have SR manually turned on, I hear the sound of (what I think is SR engaging) as I shake the camera. (Note: The SR icon doesn't go off when I am using camera in Live Mode with the LCD screen/screen.) If I manually turn off SR, I do not hear that sound when in Live Mode. Thanks in advance for the help.

12-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shake reduction was designed to defeat shakes when you are trying to hold it still, slight shakes not tremors. When you intentionally shake it I would assume it would disengage if nothing else than to keep from being damaged.
12-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The icon going out doesn't mean the SR system is disabled, only that it's not stabilized (it's recalculating to counter the different/stronger shake).
12-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seattlemark Quote
In addition, I cannot hear anything different when the camera has SR turned on versus off when I shake, when using the K-50 with the viewfinder. In contrast, if I use the camera in Live Mode with the LCD monitor/screen, and I have SR manually turned on, I hear the sound of (what I think is SR engaging) as I shake the camera. (Note: The SR icon doesn't go off when I am using camera in Live Mode with the LCD screen/screen.) If I manually turn off SR, I do not hear that sound when in Live Mode. Thanks in advance for the help.
The SR is only moving the sensor when the camera is capturing images/video, so when you use OVF the sensor is only in motion when the image is captured.
It's just no point in moving the sensor when the shutter is closed using OVF.

12-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
The SR is only moving the sensor when the camera is capturing images/video, so when you use OVF the sensor is only in motion when the image is captured.
It's just no point in moving the sensor when the shutter is closed using OVF.
When using Live View with the monitor/screen, is the sensor being used continually (which is why I am hearing the SR in that mode) ?
12-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

If I recall it correctly, yes