Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #1

How to delete files on SD card

Hi there,

After the first time I downloaded pics to Lightroom I was then able to delete them in the file manager on my PC (using Windows 8.1). However, now I can't seem to delete the next several hundred photos. They've been downloaded to LR fine, but when I try to delete them, it says they're being deleted, but then when I go back to the parent file and click it, they're all still there. I've tried repeating, but it just does the same thing. Any ideas? Gotta figure this out or I won't be able to take more pics :-(

12-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

DO NOT Delete or format your SD card with your computer. Use your camera to delete or better yet use reformat in your tools menu. That will erase all the photos on your card.
12-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, do it from the camera. Make sure they are not protected
12-09-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Had the same experience trying to delete files from the PC. The others are right. Do it from the camera and formatting is less likely to garble things than selectively deleting.

12-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TrailRunner Quote
Hi there,

After the first time I downloaded pics to Lightroom I was then able to delete them in the file manager on my PC (using Windows 8.1). However, now I can't seem to delete the next several hundred photos. They've been downloaded to LR fine, but when I try to delete them, it says they're being deleted, but then when I go back to the parent file and click it, they're all still there. I've tried repeating, but it just does the same thing. Any ideas? Gotta figure this out or I won't be able to take more pics :-(
Is your card write protected?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Once more, joining the chorus!
  • Use your camera's format function as the best way to do a bulk delete on a card
  • Don't use your computer operating system's format feature
  • If you do end up with a corrupted SD card (not recognized by your camera), use the formatting software from the SD Association: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
  • Again, don't use your computer operating system's format feature

Steve
12-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Echoing the above. Plus - spend a couple bucks and buy a spare SD card. They are cheap, take up no room and are good insurance against a card failure or loss. We should NEVER hear someone say they can't take more pictures because the card is full.

12-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #8

Original Poster
awesome, thanks all! wow, much easier :-)
12-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Odd, I have always deleted excess photos from my SD card using my PC without a problem.

If I want to selectively delete a few files (or selectively keep a few) using the camera takes forever.

Granted, I always connect my camera to the PC using the Pentax cable, and I delete the files through Windows explorer. (I haven't taken the SD card out of my camera in at least 4 years)
12-09-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah , same here ..
I don't read from the camera any longer , I just pull out the SD card and read it through a SD card reader and PC , then just do a fast format after a file transfer ( Copy Paste ) to my computer .
The only cards that seem to have issue , are the cheap no brand ones ..
Just avoid cheap no brand SD cards ...
12-10-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I plug the USB cable into my camera and use Bridge to download and delete images from the camera. Been doing this for several years, not hit a problem yet. If I do I'll simply reformat the card in the camera, which is what I did when I first started using it.
12-10-2014, 05:13 AM   #12
Pentaxian

There is a known problem (and solution) on some macbook pros with Sandisk SDHC cards. The computer sees the card as read-only, even when the card lock is in the off position. The solution is bizarre: set the lock slider half way between lock and unlock. If you get it just right (not too hard) it is writable again.

I frequently let Aperture delete my photos from the card after download, and it's never caused a problem.
12-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is your card write protected?
Problem is that after you have deleted them, you need to empty the trash can on the computer desktop before you take out the card from the card reader
12-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Problem is that after you have deleted them, you need to empty the trash can on the computer desktop before you take out the card from the card reader
No! Not the case on any computer system I know of. However, you do require that no application is using the card when you try to "eject" it.
12-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another plus 1 for formatting the card in camera to delete photos. Formatting the card with the computer can cause problems.