Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #1

PC cable for K-3

Hi ,
I tried to connect my camera to my pc the other day, but as there is no cable supplied with the camera, I tried one that fits my Nikon coolpix & Lumix bridge camera, but it doesn´t fit any of the ports!!!
Is there a special lead for Pentax cameras?
Am starting to wonder if my camewra wasn´t infact new when I got it, as the box wasn´t sealed (I bought it from Amazon) I was so excited at the time I didn´t really think about this.

Any advice greattly appreciated...

Bruce,

12-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are correct. Your camera did not come packed with a USB data cable. The fitting is a standard USB 3.0 micro B, though a USB 2.0 micro B will work as well.* This is in the User manual page 64. The features available when connected is essentially limited to file transfer. The K-3 does not allow tethered control by a computer. While download of the files off the camera may be done by cable, I would suggest a SD card reader as the preferred alternative. It is just as fast and does not require that the camera be powered up to do the transfer.

Steve

* I got my cable at monoprice.com. Their prices are low and quality is good.

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-11-2014 at 12:02 AM.
12-11-2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Forum Member

After the card reader slot in my K20 broke and also both slots in the K3 ended up showing "no card in camera" and had to be returned for a complete new circuit board, I now use just cable to download photos!. Plugs, sockets and card reader slots however are all subject to possible problems!
12-11-2014, 05:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceStrachan Quote
Hi ,
I tried to connect my camera to my pc the other day, but as there is no cable supplied with the camera, I tried one that fits my Nikon coolpix & Lumix bridge camera, but it doesn´t fit any of the ports!!!
Is there a special lead for Pentax cameras?
Am starting to wonder if my camewra wasn´t infact new when I got it, as the box wasn´t sealed (I bought it from Amazon) I was so excited at the time I didn´t really think about this.

Any advice greattly appreciated...

Bruce,
Thanks Steve...

My problem is my user manual is in German and I only speak English....learning slowly though...

12-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve...

My problem is my user manual is in German and I only speak English....learning slowly though...
Do you want to trade? I have an English one and I speak German.
12-11-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Thanks Steve...

The manual is available for download in English.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-3.pdf

Steve
12-11-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

PC cable K3

I got my cord at a local electronics store for $9.95 Canadian
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The standard usb cables for most recent smart phones excluding Apples should all work with K-3 transfer. Samsung, LG, HTC, BB, etc all use USB micro-b ports.