Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recommend a digital photography technique book for experienced film photographer

My sister-in-law is an experienced film photographer but hasn't experimented much with a digital camera. She has expressed an interest in learning more about digital photography and I was thinking of getting her a book for Christmas. Can anyone recommend a book for a person like her? She's not looking for information about basic principles re exposure, nor is she looking for advice on composition etc (she's an accomplished artist). Just needs advice on technique and on some advice on processing.

Oh, and based on what I know about her personality, she'd hate Scott Kelby's writing style.

Thanks

12-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about "Understanding Digital Photography" by Bryan Peterson. He does a nice job of explaining the differences in the first part. Then a big section on aperture, shutter speed and so on, and then a nice explanation of the digital workflow with Photoshop.

The middle might not be of interest though....
12-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
How about "Understanding Digital Photography" by Bryan Peterson. He does a nice job of explaining the differences in the first part. Then a big section on aperture, shutter speed and so on, and then a nice explanation of the digital workflow with Photoshop.

The middle might not be of interest though....

The Photographers Eye .. .Michael Freedman
Chasing the Light ... Ibarionex Perello
The Art of Photography Bruce Barnbaum

The best I have read yet ....
12-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recommend Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long. I have the 5th edition, there may be a 6th by now. Very comprehensive.