Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #1

I dropped my camera and the mirror won't open

Hi

I am not well versed on the anatomy of dslr camera and I am in a pickle. My drunk friend knocked my camera of a counter so I am unsure how it fell. Now it cannot take pictures because the mirror is not exposed. All I see is black through the live view. I can see through the view finder. When I took off the lens, I noticed that my split screen prism was lodged out and underneath the closed mirror "flap?" I was able to reinstall that but my mirror does not want to open. Any pictures taken is just blackness.

Any thoughts, or is it time to count my losses and start looking for another body.

Much thanks,

Mai.

12-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your friend needs to step up to the plate and pay for a new camera. Only fair.
12-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Lol it's okay. It was my bad for keeping a camera around drunk people.

I am looking for ways to fix it or some google ideas to start from lol
12-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by hilohello Quote

I am looking for ways to fix it or some google ideas to start from lol
Service center time.

12-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
Service center time.
Sorry, but I am new here. Is that a separate forum or a phone number to call.
12-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depending on the model (i.e. more than a few years old?) it may (very likely) be cheaper just to buy the same camera again. Check the marketplace to see how much your camera was worth prior to it's demise. It would certainly be a lot faster to replace rather than repair. Cameras are precision equipment and it's unlikely that the repairer will ever get all the internals re-aligned to factory tolerances, even if they do get it working once more.
12-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah I looking at the prices of other cameras. So there is no hope for my current camera? No last attempts? I mean it's broken already, so I'll try anything on it.
12-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Depending on the model (i.e. more than a few years old?) it may (very likely) be cheaper just to buy the same camera again. Check the marketplace to see how much your camera was worth prior to it's demise. It would certainly be a lot faster to replace rather than repair. Cameras are precision equipment and it's unlikely that the repairer will ever get all the internals re-aligned to factory tolerances, even if they do get it working once more.
I have been looking at the marketplace prices and they look good. So is there no way to salvage this camera. I am willing to try anything, I mean it is already broken.

12-12-2014, 02:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Well, a quick look at your account suggests that the camera in question is a K20 and that you're from the USA (and from your user name I would guess Hawaii).

All of this is information is stuff needed to base suggestions on.

So is there no way to salvage this camera.
Maybe, but the crystal ball is a little cloudy. Could you post a picture of the mirror box? Somebody might see something which helps.

Sorry, but I am new here. Is that a separate forum or a phone number to call.
They mean call a Pentax service centre near you.

Just in case you don't realise it, this is a forum about Pentax not a forum belonging to Pentax.
12-12-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried removing then replacing the battery, just to see if something electro-mechanical resets when it's turned back on ?
12-12-2014, 03:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
http://youtu.be/lJ6-0blp_co?list=UUqVqFxuCQDQZ_2NKf4UxURw

Sorry for the poor lighting, but here is a quick vid of my issue. You can also hear the the camera making sound in the background when it is in live view.

I tried the battery idea and it's still no bueno. Thanks for the suggestion though.
12-12-2014, 04:45 AM   #12

I think that's a "replace" job, sadly. You might make a few $ from ebaying it as "spares or repair", someone might need body panels or LCDs, if those are ok.

See if you can find a K7 or K5 within budget, they've come down a lot recently while K20D prices seem to have levelled off.
12-12-2014, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

Maybe so, but people are still responsible for their actions. If a drunk driver runs a stop sign and broadsides you, would you react by saying "Oh, well, I should have been home in bed at one in the morning, not driving around."?

And your friend is not much of a friend if he hasn't offered to compensate you for the loss he caused, IMO.

As for the camera, I understand it's a K20, this may be a good time to pick up one of the K-5 models, should be able to find a good price.
12-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #14

http://youtu.be/lJ6-0blp_co?list=UUqVqFxuCQDQZ_2NKf4UxURw

Sorry for the poor lighting, but here is a quick vid of my issue. You can also hear the the camera making sound in the background when it is in live view.

I tried the battery idea and it's still no bueno. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Looks to me the mirror is fine. It flips on demand. It is the shutter not opening. That maybe why the Live View is dark.