Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 01:29 AM   #1

K100D Super, does not power on, even LCD

Our K100 D super had been bought in December 2007. It had been always kept in extreme accurate care, never dropped or alike. It has own photo bag. It had been laying down on shelf in bag for more than year.

Yesterday I needed to import some old images made in 2012 from SD card, so I started to fiddle with it. It did not show any life sign. LCD does not indicate anything. Nothing, zero reaction. Battery change did not help. Previous batteries did not leak anything, contacts look completely clean down there in compartment. Turning On/OFF few times did not help.

I'm not sure I still have any mini-USB (vs micro-USB which are many here) cable around in hope to try whether it could act taking power from USB. But I doubt it is that well designed (I have some electronics OEM background, and worked with USB for many years).

What are my options before I turn for repair service? What could be cause provided it laid calm in safe place at room temperature? There is no guarantee anymore, so maybe I could check/fix something myself, granted I'm familiar with electronics and certainly not helpless with these types of works? Any experinces of DIY fixes with K100D?

12-12-2014, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

The K100 is very sensitive to voltage input. I have seen ones that won't even turn on unless you use lithium batteries. I think the main capacitor is where the fault lies. There is also a possibility that the contacts at the bottom of the battery compartment have been too compressed and are not making good contact. Try using a dental pick and raising the contacts a little bit. Be very gentle with this. You can also dip a QTip in some Deoxit and clean all the contacts. If these things don't work then the camera will need a major repair. Unfortunately, the cost of a repair will probably be at least 2 times the value of the camera and you could replace it with a newer model for the same price.
12-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you!
At least something to try with. I have realized also that it might be I have to try with yet another set of batteries too. Or external power source.