Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
12-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #1

[K30] Memory card error

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys, i have this confusing problem about memory card error on my K30. It happens randomly awhile after shooting. Last shot was fine and suddenly the next one couldn't be read (while the camera is turning on). Sometimes everything's alright. But recently this problem occurs very often.

Each time this happens, the only way i can solve this is taking out the memory card then input again. very annoying. I try several brand new SDHCs but there's no result. I suppose the error was on the camera, and take it to the Pentax Distributor (in Vietnam) for helps. They told me if it was on the camera so there were no chance to repair it. Because memory adapter is glutinous to mainboard, it has to replace whole the mainboard, that's impossible ! i bought this K30 from amazon US 6 months ago, there's no garrantee in vietnam unless i return to the amazon US (it's quite complicated )
If anyone has the same problem, pls give me some advices, it would be appreciated !

12-13-2014, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's more likely that your memory card is faulty. If an in-camera format doesn't fix the problem, try getting a new sandisk or lexar card- and make sure it's not a counterfeit!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2014, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's more likely that your memory card is faulty. If an in-camera format doesn't fix the problem, try getting a new sandisk or lexar card- and make sure it's not a counterfeit!
+1

If problem is at mainboard, it will happen all the time with any size/brand memory card. In third world countries, chances to be scammed with counterfit (anything) are very high. Even in the USA you are not 100% free of counterfit goods. Just buy your memory cards from reputable retailers, from well known brands and from someone that you can file warranty claims.
12-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
+1

If problem is at mainboard, it will happen all the time with any size/brand memory card. In third world countries, chances to be scammed with counterfit (anything) are very high. Even in the USA you are not 100% free of counterfit goods. Just buy your memory cards from reputable retailers, from well known brands and from someone that you can file warranty claims.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure i'm using an authentic lexar card. this occurs occasionally :'( while shooting. i guess it's caused by the spot of interaction between the card and the mainboard. i dont know...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
5530  Photo 
12-13-2014, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Banned

I had memory card errors randomly in my K30 with PNY cards, switched to SanDisk and all has been well since.
12-13-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by voduyynhien Quote
Thanks. I'm pretty sure i'm using an authentic lexar card. this occurs occasionally
With my K200D, I used to get these problems regularly with generic Lexar cards, and even with Sandisk Ultra cards. I found I could minimize the problems somewhat by shooting RAW rather than RAW+,
and by NOT pressing the "preview" button until the camera was done writing a series of photos to the card.

Then I lost the Lexar cards and bought a Sandisk Extreme - never had the problem once. The Sandisk Ultra works fine on my K30, though slower than the Sandisk Extremes. I've never seen the memory
card error problem on my K30, but I've never tried shooting with cheaper cards since I lost the Lexars.

As suggested by others, try getting something like a Sandisk Extreme from a reputable dealer.
12-13-2014, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Get a good, well-known brand of memory card and format it in camera before you use it. It's more likely that the problem is the memory card than the camera. Always format a new memory card in the camera and if you haven't done that with the one you're using try it; it just might solve the problem. Good luck.

12-13-2014, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. I'm pretty sure i'm using an authentic lexar card. this occurs occasionally :'( while shooting. i guess it's caused by the spot of interaction between the card and the mainboard. i dont know...
I bought some Lexar cards for my K30 before. They sucked. I was experiencing the same problems as you.

I went back to Sandisk, and now Eye-Fi cards, and I've never had those problems again.

Lexar sucks.
12-13-2014, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I had memory card errors randomly in my K30 with PNY cards, switched to SanDisk and all has been well since.
Hi
I have the same problem with my k3 using PNY cards as well
Going to buy two 16g sandisk cards
Neil
12-13-2014, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Hi
I have the same problem with my k3 using PNY cards as well
Going to buy two 16g sandisk cards
Neil
Strange. I've been using 2x 32GB PNY Elite cards in my K3 since I got it and I have one in my K500. I have never had an error, but I do only shoot RAW (not RAW+).
12-13-2014, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Strange. I've been using 2x 32GB PNY Elite cards in my K3 since I got it and I have one in my K500. I have never had an error, but I do only shoot RAW (not RAW+).

I was able to use them in my K20 with no problems there either, only had trouble in the K30. There have been many threads about different camera models not playing well with various cards. Guess each model has it's own likes / dislikes when it comes to cards.
12-13-2014, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Hi
I use 16g PNY performance cards and shoot in raw+
So that could be the problem
Neil
12-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks all you guys ! I appreciate your advices very much. Theses lead to the conclusion that i should use a SANDISK card and had better shoot in RAW than RAW+ . I'll try it immediately in few days and then give feedback on this issue. I hope it works !
12-14-2014, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks all you guys ! I appreciate your advices very much. Theses lead to the conclusion that i should use a SANDISK card and had better shoot in RAW than RAW+ . I'll try it immediately in few days and then give feedback on this issue. I hope it works !
I really don't think you need to change shooting file format. Just follow this simple and easy rules:

1. Get your memory cards ONLY from trusted reputable sources that will honor any given warranty.

2. Always format cards IN CAMERA, not in computer. Same goes for deleting individual files.

3, Make sure you are runing a good, up to date antivirus program in your computer. Run antivirus on mem cards BEFORE opening them on any file browser. Lets AV software finish scan before starting to transfer files.

4. Always practice good habits when inserting or removing cards from camera or computer. In camera always turn off camera to insert or remove cards. In computer make sure card access is finished before removing. Better yet use the USB /flash drive stop utility every time before removing.

5. Avoid strong magnetic fields around memory cards (speakers, TV sets, metal detectors, microwave ovens, electric motors, etc) although damage from magnetic sources is rare, it can happen.

6. Keep card's contacts clean, including fingerprints. Never allow them to get wet.