Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #1

My K-7' focus slowly

i am now using pentax k-7 with DAL 18-55mm AL and Sigma DG 70-300mm (not apo) .I tried my friend's Canon 650D with tamron 28-300mm and the focusing speed is much higher than mine .i dont know whether i should upgrade my k7 to k5 or upgrade my lens ??!

12-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that you should compare your camera with another screw-drive camera. The DA18-55 should focus relatively rapidly (using the OVF) and that what I would check.

If you could, get in touch with another Pentax user and check how his/her camera focus works,

You want first to ascertain that the problem is the camera , not the lens. For that I would recommend to use a Pentax lens (not a 3rd party), preferably a short lens (DA limited or DA18-55mm), and use the optical view finder (OVF) in broad day light conditions. If you believe that the camera is really the issue, reset all the camera settings. Then set centre focus point.

Hope that the comment may help.
12-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't tell you the exact speed numbers. In daylight or decent artificial light, my K-5 IIs seems slightly faster than my K-7. It might show on a test but for me, it's pretty close. In low light, the K-5 IIs focuses where the K-7 would just give up. I just took a bunch of shots tonight at f2.0, 1/30, ISO 3200. That is Ev2 - within the specs of the K-7 but I would normally use manual focus instead of waiting for AF to lock. The K-5 IIs was certainly fast enough for me. I only use the center point on both cameras. I don't know anything about the tracking abilities or using other AF points. Sharper, faster lenses will help, but will cost more. I was using a Pentax-FA 35mm f2 which is all of that.

The K-7 gives up a lot of image quality in low light. The K-5 IIs will be a lot better for low light shooting.

I suppose the real question is, is the Canon faster in AF than the K-5 IIs. I don't know. Image quality, I'd go with the K-5 IIs, but if you really really need superfast AF, possibly not.
12-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I think that you should compare your camera with another screw-drive camera. The DA18-55 should focus relatively rapidly (using the OVF) and that what I would check.

If you could, get in touch with another Pentax user and check how his/her camera focus works,

You want first to ascertain that the problem is the camera , not the lens. For that I would recommend to use a Pentax lens (not a 3rd party), preferably a short lens (DA limited or DA18-55mm), and use the optical view finder (OVF) in broad day light conditions. If you believe that the camera is really the issue, reset all the camera settings. Then set centre focus point.

Hope that the comment may help.
actually i am thinking about how i can improve the focusing speed effectively (by lens or by DSLR )