Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
sunshine7913

Two flash sync studio

Hi I have a question for flashes.

Im going to get two same flashes to set like a studio photography. Well I faced several problems.

1. How am I going to sync two flashes without any remote controller? I really don't want to use the remote controller cause of price.

2. Will these flashes sync at the same time?

3. Is there any way to sync these flashes without remote controller but the camera itself?

12-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sunshine7913 Quote
Hi I have a question for flashes.

Im going to get two same flashes to set like a studio photography. Well I faced several problems.

1. How am I going to sync two flashes without any remote controller? I really don't want to use the remote controller cause of price.

2. Will these flashes sync at the same time?

3. Is there any way to sync these flashes without remote controller but the camera itself?
1 -- Optically? Just buy radio triggers. The cactus v5 are great and very cheap.

2 -- do they have built in optical triggering (dumb slave)? Otherwise, use radio triggers

3 -- yes, via optical triggering if supported on the flash
12-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A sync cable would be the cheapest option. My 645N has a PC-sync port on the left side below the exposure compensation dial. I'm pretty sure the 645Nii has it in the same place. Most new flashes don't have a sync socket, so I use a hot-shoe adapter on each flash. I connect the sync cable from the camera to the first flash, then another from the first flash to the second.

Many flashes have a "slave" mode where they can be triggered by an on-camera flash. This does work and usually doesn't require any extra equipment, but I find it to be unpredictable in some situations.
12-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

To summarize all of the above...
  • Flashes having a PC socket can be sync'ed with a sync cord from a camera having a PC socket
  • Radio sync (Cactus and similar) is possible with the transmitter attached to the camera
  • Optical sync may be possible using compatible flash and flash on the camera
All of the above involve additional expense and everything depends on your camera and the flashes you are planning on using. In the long run, radio triggers probably offer the most cost-effective and flexible solution, particularly when coupled with modern speedlights. If this is an occasional or one-time deal, you may be able to rent a set-up.

Steve

12-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second what Stevebrot said.

If you are really worried about the cost of radio triggers, I've just started using the Yonguno RF603-ii triggers.
I bought four of them for half the price of cactus triggers.

I doubt they are of the same quality as the cactus, but may be worth a look in your case.

Bruce
12-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sunshine, if you can set up the flashes so they can 'see' your camera's popup flash, they'll fire without further investment.

But radio is so much more versatile, and these days is very cheap.

For event photography TTL is nice but in a studio for portraits or products manual flash is perfect and that's what low end radio controllers do.
12-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Banned

I've had these for a couple months now, for playing around with multi flash setups. Cheap and seem to work pretty well. Amazon.com : Neewer 16 Channel Wireless Remote FM Flash Speedlite Radio Trigger with 2.5mm PC Receiver for Canon 580EX II 580EX 550EX 540EZ 520EZ 430EX, Nikon SB900 SB800 SB600 SB28, Neewer TT860, TT850, TT560, YN560 III, YN560 II, YN560 I, Olympus,

12-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sunshine, if you can set up the flashes so they can 'see' your camera's popup flash, they'll fire without further investment.
That is only true if the flash units the that OP chooses have a builtin optical slave trigger. Some flashes do, some don't. The OP didn't mention which flashes he/she is considering.

The cheapest way to sync the flashes would be with a cable, presuming the camera has a PC socket. If there is no PC socket, an adapter to sync off the hotshoe would be required.

Optical slaves are not terribly expensive, either.

Radio slaves are the most expensive, but also the most versatile.

If using a direct connection, via a cable, care must be taken that the trigger voltage on the flash is not too high for the camera to handle. A trigger voltage that is too high can fry the electronics in a modern camera. The trigger voltage should be no more than 15-20 volts. This is probably not a problem if using new flash units. However, many people like to go to eBay and buy classic flash units, such as the Vivitar 283, which can have trigger voltages of more than 200 volts.