Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 01:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The absolute bare minimum is to make sure your monitor is set to a colour temperature of 6500K, and to do the PhotoFriday calibration or something similar. Most monitors initially have a higher colour than 6500K so make photos look rather blue - on correcting it the photos look warmer / redder. The default setup also tends to high contrast, with both the darkest and palest shades of grey indistinguishable.

12-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I think I'll buy something to calibrate my monitor with Christmas money. Was going to buy a tripod but I have an old one from my dad. And I agree that having the correct colors is the most important aspect since I'm at the point of wanting to print some pictures out. So thanks for the replies everyone.
12-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #18
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I use and recommend the i1 Display pro and color checker Passport both from x-rite, keeps my colours under control.
12-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
I meant the inexpensive version (express), and yes it's inexpensive for the accuracy it delivers.

12-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I meant the inexpensive version (express), and yes it's inexpensive for the accuracy it delivers.
The pro is sometimes on sale for $99. That's how I got mine. I have seen that sale a few times this year.
12-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'll be on the look out for that then. Seems like it has good reviews. Thanks for the heads up.
12-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Did you try Stevebrot's suggestion as a first step to rip one straight off the camera as a JPEG? I've had and seen this issue in others and monitor calibration was not the issue in any of those cases. Not saying it's not your problem, but you should ensure you've covered off the basic troublleshooting first. Most laptops and PC's have their own system for calibrating monitors and whilst they won't be up to pro standard, they should sort out your type of problem most of the time.
12-17-2014, 04:15 AM   #23
Site Supporter

B&H currently has a deal on the X-Rite i1Display Pro in their daily "Deal Zone" for $154 plus a $25 mail-in rebate to drop it to $129. These last for 24 hours or until sold out.
Deal Zone, Deal of the Day at B&H

12-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
Most laptops and PC's have their own system for calibrating monitors and whilst they won't be up to pro standard, they should sort out your type of problem most of the time.
Thanks for adding this last part. I will add again that the technical solution (buying a calibration device) might work real well, but the calibration wizard bundled with Windows also does a decent job and should be the first choice after trying an in-camera JPEG. Using your eyes in room lighting to generate the ICC profile may seem dull, but that same set of eyes are the standard that must be satisfied in the end.

Steve
12-17-2014, 08:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

There happens to have been a really good article about human color perception posted at the luminous landscape in the last few days. Observing and Managing Color: Dealing with Color Vision Anomalies
12-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
There happens to have been a really good article about human color perception posted at the luminous landscape in the last few days. Observing and Managing Color: Dealing with Color Vision Anomalies

Thanks for posting this resource. I am a real fan of the "Cambridge in Colour" Web site and they have a similar tutorial on color management:

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-17-2014 at 09:51 AM.
12-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for posting this resource. I am a real fan of the "Cambridge in Colour" Web site and they have a similar tutorial on color management:

Tutorials on Color Management & Printing

Steve
You bet! I find the cambridge in colour website to have a lot of useful information as well.
12-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't tried yet. By the weekend I'll give it a shot though.
12-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #29
Inactive Account

I would recommend the spyder4pro (I use it) because it has got an ambient light sensor to compensate the contrast. The Spyder4Express has not, which is ok if you don't print your pictures, but if you print them, you want the contrast to be compensated to your ambient light.

Fur further information on color management, I found their eBook to be a good crash course:
http://spyder.datacolor.com/scripts/ebook-en/Spyder_eBook_EN_final.pdf
12-18-2014, 05:45 AM   #30
Veteran Member

The colormunki display has that feature as well.