Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do I need to calibrate my monitor?

So I took some portraits of the family today, printed them out, and there was a weird over-saturated red tint in some places on our faces. I've not really done any set up with the printer or anything so that could be the issue. But I decided to run to walmart and print them out to see if there was a difference. The pictures looked exactly the same. I printed a few other pictures out and some had a reddish tint to them especially in the areas that should be yellowish or orange-ish. So I'm guessing my monitor just needs to be calibrated since the pictures look great in LR5. Does this sound like the problem or could it be something else?

12-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes you do... Datacolor spyder 4 is inexpensive.
12-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
So I took some portraits of the family today, printed them out, and there was a weird over-saturated red tint in some places on our faces. I've not really done any set up with the printer or anything so that could be the issue. But I decided to run to walmart and print them out to see if there was a difference. The pictures looked exactly the same. I printed a few other pictures out and some had a reddish tint to them especially in the areas that should be yellowish or orange-ish. So I'm guessing my monitor just needs to be calibrated since the pictures look great in LR5. Does this sound like the problem or could it be something else?
Could be a few things. What color space was that particular image when taken to Walmart? Was this a raw file originally? What did you export it as for Walmart? Was that different from what you printed from in LR? Were you using printer management or LR management?

M
12-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Yes you do... Datacolor spyder 4 is inexpensive.
Do I google incorrectly or is $170 inexpensive? Datacolor Spyder4PRO - Advanced Color Calibration - Datacolor Imaging Solutions

12-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I exported to JPEG for Walmart. At home, I used the printer management and tried a few different settings. All the pictures had the same red splotches. I'm almost positive it's the monitor. I had the vibrancy turned up a bit on the pictures, so that's probably what caused the over saturated look. And it makes sense where the off colors were located. Places that should've been more orange.
12-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You may be on to something. To confirm, you can try is to shoot an in-camera JPEG. Print the JPEG using the operating system's picture viewer and then from Lightroom and see if either looks strange.

In regards to monitor calibration, if you use the Windows operating system, Microsoft provides a calibration tool. From the Control Panel, choose Display/Calibrate color and follow the instructions.

Steve
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Do other peoples photos posted in forum threads look good on your monitor? Post a few of yours in the same thread and compare.

12-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, but if you want accuracy it's going to cost you. NEC Spectraview and Eizo ColorEdge monitors are generally considered to be the best. I can't speak to calibrating a monitor without a built in LUT because after doing the research I chose to implement a color managed workflow that followed generally accepted conventions. It's not perfect but I know I've done as much as I can do within the budget I set for myself. It was not cheap, however.
12-15-2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Yes, but if you want accuracy it's going to cost you. NEC Spectraview and Eizo ColorEdge monitors are generally considered to be the best. I can't speak to calibrating a monitor without a built in LUT because after doing the research I chose to implement a color managed workflow that followed generally accepted conventions. It's not perfect but I know I've done as much as I can do within the budget I set for myself. It was not cheap, however.

Hi!

What is a color managed workflow that follows generally accepted conventions? Is it a way to skip calibration?

Thanks.

Dave
12-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

From my experience, Walmart has underexposed my photos, but no shifts in the color. I have upgraded to a high quality monitor (relative to photo editing) and calibrate it with Spyder 4 but haven't tested the results, officially. From my research/experience into this, it seems to be very complicated. Color profiles, monitors, where it will be printed all play an important (and confusing) role. I do know that if you print at a higher quality lab (that removes Walmart from the equation) they seem to be better at analyzing and developing your photos as originally intended.
12-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
From my experience, Walmart has underexposed my photos, but no shifts in the color. I have upgraded to a high quality monitor (relative to photo editing) and calibrate it with Spyder 4 but haven't tested the results, officially. From my research/experience into this, it seems to be very complicated. Color profiles, monitors, where it will be printed all play an important (and confusing) role. I do know that if you print at a higher quality lab (that removes Walmart from the equation) they seem to be better at analyzing and developing your photos as originally intended.

Any chance you might rent the Spyder4 to a nearby Pentaxian for a one time calibration? LOL
12-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Is it a way to skip calibration?
No, calibration is the foundation.

Steve
12-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I just bought an X-Rite ColorMunki Smile. Any thoughts on this? I haven't opened the box and can return if the general consensus is that it's junk. I'm using LR4 and send my JPEGs to AdoromaPix for prints and photo books. I'm not using their color profiles since I figured that's useless without a calibrated monitor. Also starting to use Blurb for photo books. I'm noticing what I get back looks slightly underexposed or not as saturated as what I see on my monitor.
12-15-2014, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Hi!

What is a color managed workflow that follows generally accepted conventions? Is it a way to skip calibration?

Thanks.

Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, calibration is the foundation.

Steve
What Steve said.

Accurate color management; i.e., a color managed workflow, incorporates several steps that insure accurate color rendition from capture to print. It involves using color charts, colorimeters, and spectrophotometers in order to calibrate cameras, monitors, and printers. Most people will only need a monitor with a built in LUT (Look Up Table) and a colorimeter to satisfy their needs. Unfortunately, those two items alone are north of about $500.00. Keep in mind that most people who will view your pictures online do not have calibrated monitors although I think most browsers are color managed these days. Still, if you have a properly calibrated monitor at the very least you'll know what you're putting out into the world is color accurate.

Here's a few links not for the faint of heart. It's a rabbit hole.

http://photo.net/learn/digital-photography-workflow/color-management/ *

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/technology/pdfs/Why_Color_Management.pdf

http://www.color.org/whycolormanagement.pdf

http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/en/L11-176_Guide_to_CM_en.pdf

Canon DLC: Article Print: Understanding the Role of a Spectrophotometer in a Color Management Process

ICC Frequently asked questions

---------- Post added 12-15-14 at 10:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
I just bought an X-Rite ColorMunki Smile. Any thoughts on this? I haven't opened the box and can return if the general consensus is that it's junk. I'm using LR4 and send my JPEGs to AdoromaPix for prints and photo books. I'm not using their color profiles since I figured that's useless without a calibrated monitor. Also starting to use Blurb for photo books. I'm noticing what I get back looks slightly underexposed or not as saturated as what I see on my monitor.
Read the links I posted above and you can decide for yourself if the Munki is enough for you.

I found the subject of color management fascinating when I was researching it and grew to believe it to be the foundation on which every color image should be built. It provides the basis for accurate color reproduction and a baseline from which to diverge in a purposeful manner. Lately I'm shooting mostly b&w film but I know when I shoot digital color I'm able to reproduce the captured colors accurately on my monitors and in prints (although I'm still using canned ICC profiles for my 3880 and various papers).

* "Buy the very best monitor you can afford. Scrimp on your computer upgrades, a new camera body or flashy accessories. Your monitor is the most important investment in your digital photography workflow. It is the foundation upon which all other elements in the workflow depend."

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 12-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.
12-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
How's $99 then?
Datacolor Spyder4EXPRESS