Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 06:55 AM   #1

K-r: Help! Weird Fragments in Videorecording and on screen!

Hello everybody!
I've encountered a really nasty problem with my K-r. In Video Mode, with live view on, there are strange horizontal lines appearing as if they were video noise. After recording, the camera fails to play the videos properly, displaying more of those fragments, skipping parts or turning black.
These Problems also affect the data, not only the display. They are also encountered when viewing the data on a Computer.

I would be very happy if someone could help me.

I have already:
- updated the firmware
- reset the camera to factory settings
- switched memory cards
- changed batteries

Thank you in advance! Sorry for my english. I'm German

Jonny

12-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I moved this to the Troubleshooting forum as I think it will get more exposure here.
12-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I see this is your first post. Welcome to PF! (Your English is good, clearer than a lot of native English speakers.) The questions below are intended to help figure out what's going in with your camera.

Look at a few videos saved before you noticed the problem. Are those videos really okay, or did your problem start showing up in a milder form before it got bad enough to be obvious?

Set the camera to the lowest resolution video mode. Do those videos still have problems?

Set the shutter to high speed continuous and take a long burst of still images. Do any of those images show problems?
12-17-2014, 02:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi John and thank you for your support.

If I watch older Videos on a computer, they are completely fine. However, watching them on the camera itself causesthe same mistakes as with the new recordings. But in that case, the data isn't damaged, so the old recordings stay as they were.

I did set the resolution to lowest. It doesn't change a thing.

I will try the high speed shutter thing as soon as I'm with my camera again. I will post the result.

Thank you for the fast reply!

Jonny

12-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If old videos play fine on your PC but show horizontal lines on the camera, that sort of rules out sensor problems. And new videos also have the lines when on your PC, which means it's not just a camera LCD fault. Curious to see what happens with stills.

You might want to start saving for a new camera
12-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #6

Original Poster
I've just tried taking a high speed shutter image series. Unfortunately, my camera completely froze in the saving process.
Since about 15 minutes, the screen is black, only the red "processing" light is on.

I agree with you. I think, my K-r is close to dead.
12-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My guess is an electronic component is dying a slow death. I hope I'm wrong and someone else can find a workaround that lets you keep using your K-r.

The K-r is arguably not worth sending for repair. The newer K-50 has many improvements and prices have recently dropped (in the USA and hopefully Germany). Without knowing your budget situation, this is a good time to upgrade to a K-50 or maybe even a K-3.

If you are feeling adventurous, open up your K-r and visually look for a loose connection that you can fix. Be warned that this is risky and you might completely break your camera; do it more for the fun of it rather than actually expecting to fix anything.

12-18-2014, 05:03 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hmm. so a new Camera it is.
My budget would at least be enough to get a K-50, unfortunately not a K-3. But what about the K-5 or even k5 II? Do you have any experience or information on that?
I've recently read that the noise "problem" with a K-50 is really high, and that the K5 II has a rather good noise value.
12-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-5 and K-5ii are good cameras. Not sure whether you can still find them new where you live, so I didn't think to mention them.

I don't have any hand-on experience with the K-50 but it uses the same sensor as the K-5. Here's a comparison Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 II / IIs vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com that shows how similar it is to the K-5 ii.

Regarding noise, the original K-5 made huge leaps compared to earlier models. The K-5ii then improved low light autofocus. The K-50 has similar capabilities because of the same sensor. If you process raw files instead of jpg for the best low light performance, the K-5 models have a slight edge because of 14-bit files vs K-50 12-bit. Regardless, the K-50 is a huge low light improvement over what you get with your K-x.

If video is important to you, ask in Video and Pentax HDSLRs - PentaxForums.com. I've read that the K-50 has better video features than the K-5.