Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'm perfectly content with my 16gb cards. I don't shoot video though.
I've never filled up one in a single outing, much less 2. (i carry a spare in my zippo pocket)

12-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
i'm perfectly content with my 16gb cards. I don't shoot video though.
I've never filled up one in a single outing, much less 2. (i carry a spare in my zippo pocket)
16Gb is ok for limited video shooting.
I shoot concerts (for archival purposes mainly) with a fixed consumer camcorder, and 16Gb is ok for 2h at the bitrate I chose.
12-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
This is beginning to sound a bit like the "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch from Monty Python.
Och! You were looky! When I were a lad...
12-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
I just have a question, not strange, but slightly off topic. Which 64GB cards did you get and how do they perform with your K-3. I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (95MB/s) and it was the fastest card I could find in real-world use, not just on a spec sheet (tested a few). I know specification-wise many cards can should keep up, but in real-world use it's a different story. I had a Transcend with similar specs and it was much, much slower than the Sandisk. Problem is the Sandisk Extreme 64GB is out of the range I want to spend. I saw some Sandisks with lower MB/s rates for a great price during the Black Friday sales, that on paper should be sufficient to keep up with the K-3, but a hesitated because I'm happy with the performance that I've got. Extra storage is also nice to have....just in case. Basically, what I'm getting at is that SD card performance varies so much, specs can not be relied on, and I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
The cards are fast but in MPO overkill the camera can only write to the card at a certain speed and I still find myself needing to wait. I have an extreme pro 64GB and really feel it isn't worth the money when the camera can't keep up. Don't get me wrong I love my extreme pro and have never had a problem with any of my San Disc so never have felt the need to change. Hope that helps. If you find something working I would say don't change Transcend also has a great name like with anything you get your goods and duds and if it is sufficing your needs and fits your budget stick to it.

Last edited by Sorver; 12-16-2014 at 01:29 PM.
12-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
I have a 64gig sd, worst mistake ever lol. Went on holiday shot a ton of pictures. Spent days going through them all.

In the future I think I'm sticking to 16-32 at the most.
Exactly why I won't go past 32. Mostly I stick to 16 unless I'm going to be shooting RAW al day long.
12-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Exactly why I won't go past 32. Mostly I stick to 16 unless I'm going to be shooting RAW al day long.
Lol yes that too had 5000 to sort through getting back from Holidays in Alaska but imagine regardless of cards I still would have taken the same amount of shots.
12-16-2014, 02:13 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Och! You were looky! When I were a lad...
oh what have I started.

12-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sorver Quote
The cards are fast but in MPO overkill the camera can only write to the card at a certain speed and I still find myself needing to wait. I have an extreme pro 64GB and really feel it isn't worth the money when the camera can't keep up. Don't get me wrong I love my extreme pro and have never had a problem with any of my San Disc so never have felt the need to change. Hope that helps. If you find something working I would say don't change Transcend also has a great name like with anything you get your goods and duds and if it is sufficing your needs and fits your budget stick to it.
Sorry if I misspoke. I have the Sandisk, which is fast, found that the Transcend was slow, don't have it anymore. There was some sandisk extreme cards on sale during black Friday (yellow labels), rated at 80MB/s, which on paper is more than sufficient for the K-3. Just thought that might have been one that you picked up since they were on sale for a good price and was wondering about it's performance. The extreme pros are very expensive, compared to extremes, and the extremes seem to be more than enough. There are so many variations in memory cards that it gets confusing. Don't know which is sufficient and you try them or get a reliable report from someone using them on the same camera.
12-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just have a question, not strange, but slightly off topic. Which 64GB cards did you get and how do they perform with your K-3. I have a 32GB Sandisk Extreme (95MB/s) and it was the fastest card I could find in real-world use, not just on a spec sheet (tested a few). I know specification-wise many cards can should keep up, but in real-world use it's a different story. I had a Transcend with similar specs and it was much, much slower than the Sandisk. Problem is the Sandisk Extreme 64GB is out of the range I want to spend. I saw some Sandisks with lower MB/s rates for a great price during the Black Friday sales, that on paper should be sufficient to keep up with the K-3, but a hesitated because I'm happy with the performance that I've got. Extra storage is also nice to have....just in case. Basically, what I'm getting at is that SD card performance varies so much, specs can not be relied on, and I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
The cards I have include:
Transcend R95 W60MB/s, class 10SDXC 64 GB. Two of these in the K-3.
Lexar Platinum II, 64 GB, SDXC 299x10. This one in the K-5II
Samsung 64 PRo SDXC class 10. This one in the K-7. One of these also installed in my wife's yellow brick.
SanKisk UltraPlus 40 MB/s SDHC class 10, 16 GB, in the K-20. I also use a San Disk class 4 32 GB card in the K-20.

Actually, I do not do any type of "burst" shooting, so have never experienced any storage delays even in using class 4 cards. My fastest shooting is events related, mostly in the evening with flash, and the delay in awaiting flash recharge is certainly greater than any delay difference in the two types of cards.
My main advantage to the larger cards is to increase storage space, which is now certainly ample with the two 64 GB cards in the K-3.

Perhaps there are some differences that I am not aware of, and do not know how to recognize, but whatever they may be they are not apparently serving as any kind of improvement/impediment to my photography.

Of course, now I also have a desk drawer full of 16 and 32 GB cards, which I would not hesitate to use as needed.

Hope this helps.
12-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have the Transcend R95 W60 MB/s cards mentioned in the previous post as well as some Sandisk Extreme Cards. The Transcend Cards are faster, but the Sandisk cards are not the fastest Sandisk Extreme Pro cards available, so it might not be a fair comparison. Ultimately, I don't shoot in high speed bursts to justify spending twice as much on the Sandisk cards or even the Transcend cards which do R/W at 95 MB/s. If I needed the speed, I'd choose the Sandisk at this point because they are essentially the same price as the Sandisks at that speed. At 60 MB/s, Transcend wins.

Now the old cards I have for my K5 are really slow on my K3, even when shooting one image. I do think there is an advantage at getting at least a somewhat higher speed card on the K3.

As for 64 GB vs other sizes. I got 64 for my K-3 (two of them). I'd rather deal with fewer cards at the end of a trip than a lot of smaller ones. The number of images doesn't change for a trip, but I don't have to change cards as much. On many shorter trips I don't have to change cards at all. I probably could say the same thing with a 32 GB card, but the 32 GB cards I have were ideal on my K5 while the 16 GB cards were never really big enough for me. I hate coming home from a 2 week trip needing to offload photos from 10+ cards.
12-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Sorry if I misspoke. I have the Sandisk, which is fast, found that the Transcend was slow, don't have it anymore. There was some sandisk extreme cards on sale during black Friday (yellow labels), rated at 80MB/s, which on paper is more than sufficient for the K-3. Just thought that might have been one that you picked up since they were on sale for a good price and was wondering about it's performance. The extreme pros are very expensive, compared to extremes, and the extremes seem to be more than enough. There are so many variations in memory cards that it gets confusing. Don't know which is sufficient and you try them or get a reliable report from someone using them on the same camera.
Don't be sorry I probably misread too late at night as you have probably found many reasons for choosing different sizes and speeds etc. I did pick up a good extreme pro from Mobi on the Black Friday sale so cheap a 32 MB extreme pro which I use to write my jpg to and 64gb for my raw format. Going through I had a look at the posts I do a lot of burst shooting as birds and moving animals are usually my target so to make sure I get an ok shot I use that format so takes awhile to write to the card but as someone else posted they only do a click to capture. Also someone else said they would rather carry one big card rather than several little and someone else uses their card for storage. I guess in short try what works for you and if small and slower doesn't work keep going till you get to where you find something that does. Lol some buy for practicality others for functionality and then some for popularity either way it is nice to always have more than one no matter what. But in short my Black Friday purchase has served me well so far. I have lots of SD cards floating around their is hubby's collection of cards then my daughters cameras plus my bridging camera which my daughter has adopted and my two DSLRs and all of them are extreme pro so I guess we buy out of familiarity . Also I have heard San Disc is releasing new faster cards so the others may drop in price as well.
12-17-2014, 03:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K20D and have never filled a 16GB card. There's no video on the K20D so no problems. I personally prefer 2 x 16GB to 1 x 32GB to spread the risk of card failure anyway. If I owned a DSLR with video or larger file sizes, I'd go for larger cards. Hope this helps.